What's new

GT-AX6000: LAN 2 running as a DMZ port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

null_

Occasional Visitor
Hello! Weird issue (for me, anyways): regardless of what I plug into it, LAN 2 on a new GT-AX6000 forwards DHCP to my ISP, and the device gets an IP address outside of my network. Just that one port! Everything else works great, and I'd rather try to fix it before I return the router altogether.

What I've tried:

- multiple PCs (all result in the same effect)
- different NICs in the same PC
- changing the router's IP address/DHCP range
- multiple factory resets
- all of the above again on Merlin FW

Anything else I can/should try before it goes back? Thanks!

Last edited:
This router is so problematic that it really makes me question purchasing the AXE16000.

I can’t believe the DongKowsTech guy recommends the AX6000 as his best Wi-Fi 6 router. Not sure what he’s thinking or is Asus sent him one with special/unreleased firmware.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This router is so problematic that it really makes me question purchasing the AXE16000.

I can’t believe the DongKowsTech guy recommends the AX6000 as his best Wi-Fi 6 router. Not sure what he’s thinking or is Asus sent him one with special/unreleased firmware.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll say that this weirdness aside, I haven't had any other issues (though it's only been a week). Throughput/range are good, works fine with AI Mesh, and with Merlin it allows me the level of insane micromanagement control I prefer. :)

That said, if I can't figure this out it's a trip back to the store for me unfortunately.

I tried one and I could tell the wireless range was the best of anything I've seen, but it was very finicky on getting a DHCP address from my ISP. RT-AX89X and GT-AX11000 have no issues with DHCP.

Well, figured it out unbelievably... it's IPTV.

Under LAN > IPTV, the option to Choose IPTV STB Port in my environment is always set to LAN 3+4, as I have two wired boxes. On this router for whatever reason, selecting 3+4 actually means 2+3. I imagine there's a bug in identifying the 2.5G LAN port as 5 and instead maybe the IPTV settings think it's 1? I dunno. Wacky. Regardless, thanks to L&LDs reset instructions, mostly because they reminded me that sometimes when troubleshooting you gotta go Real. F-in'. Slow. Hope this helps someone else in future!

Under LAN > IPTV, the option to Choose IPTV STB Port in my environment is always set to LAN 3+4, as I have two wired boxes. On this router for whatever reason, selecting 3+4 actually means 2+3. I imagine there's a bug in identifying the 2.5G LAN port as 5 and instead maybe the IPTV settings think it's 1? I dunno. Wacky.
Maybe the ports are 0-4 instead of 1-5, so 2 would really be 3. Math is hard for me. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So far my GT-AX6000 is working fine here, and it actually has better 5 GHz performance than my previous RT-AX88U when conneccting with my tablet (that tablet had constant buffering issues when streaming a video on my LAN, no issue with the GT-AX6000).

Throughput with the laptop's AX210 is also very good, I was able to transfert a file at 210 MB/s over Wifi.

Yes, very happy with the GT-AX6000 as well. Performs better than the RT-AX86U...and the speed that I see is very close to what I see with the remote node of the ZenWiFi AX all the way across my house from the AX6000. I'm seeing about 600Mbps on 620Mbps fiber where the ZenWiFi AX remote node was. It's also been stable and consistent..has now been up about 11 days with no problems.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!