GT-AX6000 or RT6600ax

smr.dny

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase a new router and my choice has come down to either a GT-AX6000 or RT6600ax. Between the two, which would you say overall would be the better pick? I’m looking to use the router for a couple of years at least.

Tech Junky

Very Senior Member

They've already got WIFI 7 which doubles the speed to 320mhz / ~5gbps for a single 2x2 client. With overhead ~3gbps is more realistic with an AX411 M2 card. Well, not really since the AX411 doesn't technically classify as wifi 7 but, could conceivably hit those speeds since it's 2.4/5/6 capable.

AFAIK both of your options are the same thing and spending less would be my personal priority unless there's a niche feature provided by one of them you absolutely want.

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
Between the two, which would you say overall would be the better pick?

What recommendation do you expect to get asking this question in mostly Asus users forum? :)

jsz

My experience with the GT-AX6000 was lackluster, granted my environment/walls/large metal appliances are likely the issue.. QAM and throughput were the trade off with my older AC router.

@ Same 25-30FT distance on both. Stationary intel AX210 card:
GT-AX6000 = lower QAM modulation, but higher throughput.
GT-AC2900 = higher QAM modulation, but lower/weaker throughput due to older design.

Line of sight performance was top notch (if not the best i've used) at least when moving stuff around, but I need a specific location. YMMV.

Can't comment on RT6600x, but I do know that the main 5G radio is a newer Gen 2 4x4 Qualcomm "SoC". Physical chip is bigger than newer A7 Radio's Broadcom has.

Physical hardware supports 4096 QAM, but disables radio down from four streams to two streams.. I don't think Synology "activated" this feature.

Makes me wonder if it's A53 based in conjunction to the main A53 1.8ghz IPQ6018

The other 5G and 2.4G radios are a weaker 2x2 design that likely leverages main CPU for load/processing.

Personally? I would have preferred if Synology went 4x4+4x4 instead of 4x4 + 2x2 + 2x2 triband.. but I'm biased towards higher end designs... The current setup is superior for wireless backhaul between two units.

smr.dny

New Around Here
My experience with the GT-AX6000 was lackluster, granted my environment/walls/large metal appliances are likely the issue.. QAM and throughput were the trade off with my older AC router.

@ Same 25-30FT distance on both. Stationary intel AX210 card:
GT-AX6000 = lower QAM modulation, but higher throughput.
GT-AC2900 = higher QAM modulation, but lower/weaker throughput due to older design.

Line of sight performance was top notch (if not the best i've used) at least when moving stuff around, but I need a specific location. YMMV.

Can't comment on RT6600x, but I do know that the main 5G radio is a newer Gen 2 4x4 Qualcomm "SoC". Physical chip is bigger than newer A7 Radio's Broadcom has.

Physical hardware supports 4096 QAM, but disables radio down from four streams to two streams.. I don't think Synology "activated" this feature.

Makes me wonder if it's A53 based in conjunction to the main A53 1.8ghz IPQ6018

The other 5G and 2.4G radios are a weaker 2x2 design that likely leverages main CPU for load/processing.

Personally? I would have preferred if Synology went 4x4+4x4 instead of 4x4 + 2x2 + 2x2 triband.. but I'm biased towards higher end designs... The current setup is superior for wireless backhaul between two units.
Great information, thank you. Still not sure which one to get. I wonder if the RT-AX86U Pro would be worth waiting for.

Marcus Yansen

Occasional Visitor
Ax-86u pro unless u gonna get above 1.5 gb internet or need more than one multi gig port but price a factor too - if both similar price as result of black Friday then gt-ax 6000

jsz

Great information, thank you. Still not sure which one to get. I wonder if the RT-AX86U Pro would be worth waiting for.

GT-AX6000 is the better option.. 2x 2.5G ports, and 4x4 2.4G.

AX86U PRO lacks second 2.5G Port and uses 3x3 2.4G chip. Basically the cost down variant of newer gen 2 BCM hardware.

MSRP on AX86U PRO should be $300+.. which makes no sense if GT-AX6000 is hitting those same prices right now (sales).. MSRP on GT-AX6000 is $400.

If the AX86U PRO performs better, I would argue it's due to the raised design profile more than any "improvement" on hardware design. GT-AX6000 will sit lower on the same kind of surface.

The Synology is interesting, but I cant really comment on how it performs relative to "good routers".

I'm personally interested in a AX89X price drop for 8x8 config (teamed 4x4 5G chips) but its an older gen 1 QCA design and I really would hate to spend over $250 since Netgears version has dropped down to $225 a few times.

Last edited:

Marcus Yansen

Occasional Visitor
Gt-ax 6000 is better if u have use for it’s extra configs albeit its more future proof as an access point later on, otherwise having a porsche without a highway to drive it on makes it worthless investment - but if their prices were close. I’d get the gt-ax6000 ofc - gt ax 6000 has some really great sales going on it right now in some countries

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
its more future proof as an access point later on

Not good for an AP to something more serious. No VLAN support.

Good for an AP on a teenager party. May flash some lights to make them happier. :)

Crimliar

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but to make the RT6600ax worthwhile, you'll really need clients capable of using it's 5.9GHz channels.

uwish

Occasional Visitor
New firmware for the AX6000 was just released this AM

bluzfanmr1

Just ordered the GT-AX6000 from Newegg for $272.99.
As did I and I'm looking forward to the upgrade from my 6 year old RT-AC66U_B1.

jsz

Good price. Better than the Amazon deal for $299 last month.

Wish mine worked better in my environment. Build quality/feature set was quite nice.