What's new

GT-AX6000 question or problem not sure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpinmo

New Around Here
Ok not a total idiot or at least I think that. I just got 1GB Fiber installed, purchased this router based on good reviews and its not overkill for us. Router connected with CAT6a 550mhz cables ( yeah I know Cat5e would be fine but provider insisted that be used) to WAN 2.5gb connection to PON, Cat 6a to PC with 2.5gb network adapter (under 10ft away on a 15ft cable)coming out of LAN 2.5gb. Problem is I am not seeing anywhere near 1gb on speed tests or in sending large files out or down from my work. I know my work connection is one limitation. But what realistically should I be seeing on speedtests? I have friends who have the same company but in a different area and they never see speedtests below 800mbs down or up. (We noticed video streams buffering, and my wife working from home is seeing just as long uploads, or having to completely redo uploads.) Mine are all over the map I see as slow as 300mbs up to 7-750? Upload is running from 150-300mbs? Have I misread how t connect the router? Is this what I should be seeing? Service I am using is Metronet 1GBs Fiber. Trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I think I do but, never had fiber before. I have friends who have Google Fiber and they tell me something is off? Any advice?

I have 2 of those dead spiders. We pay for the 1.2gb down plan from comcast and Ookla speed test almost always makes it to my mac at 1.45gb. The router should not be the bottleneck assuming you didn't get a dud. Have you tried hooking a PC directly to your modem and run a speed test without the ax6000 in between? That should tell you whether or not your ISP is giving you the shaft. If you are getting 1gb at the modem but not out the 2.5gb lan port then there is an issue with the router.

Yes I did do that and am seeing the same issue, but speeds were higher. Tech came out and did see the issue but he would only connect to Metronet servers to test. I tried to explain to him thats the WAN speed not the Internet speed but he did not seem to understand what I was telling him. LOL he was previously an auto mechanic, nice guy but admitted he was out of his depth on Network issues.

Should add I was always told to check the closest servers, that are not your ISP to see what your speed truly is, as thats testing Internet speeds not the ISP's WAN, is that still correct?

Yes I did do that and am seeing the same issue, but speeds were higher. Tech came out and did see the issue but he would only connect to Metronet servers to test. I tried to explain to him thats the WAN speed not the Internet speed but he did not seem to understand what I was telling him. LOL he was previously an auto mechanic, nice guy but admitted he was out of his depth on Network issues.

Did that tech confirm that their new service is healthy to your equipment?

OE

He could not rule out the service but he said the equipment (Pon) was testing fine, beyond that he could not say. We also have a Geo location issue where it says we are 350 miles away from our actual location.

He could not rule out the service but he said the equipment (Pon) was testing fine, beyond that he could not say. We also have a Geo location issue where it says we are 350 miles away from our actual location.

Given it's new service, if you have your doubts, I would request they send a skilled tech to confirm the new service install to your equipment... while you troubleshoot on your side.

OE

They are going to offer me a Static IP for 6 months free while they figure out the issue. Talked to Asus support and they tell me I have my router configured properly for my connection. The static IP should fix the Geolocation issue. They say it should also stabilize the speed variations I keep seeing. If anyone has any thoughts on this or has experience with Metronet, let me know if you have any advice or ideas.
Thanks
JP

@jpinmo Are you by any chance with Vodafone as ISP and CityFibre as infrastructure provider? If you are, then I'd lay odds that no matter where you are in the UK, you are being routed through Edinburgh! If I have that all correct, then VF are aware of the issue no matter what they tell you!

Well, I learned a new acronym today: PON - passive optical network

The fiber still connects to an Optical Network Terminator or ONT which converts the signal to Ethernet. My reading tells me a PON can be problematic if not provisioned correctly. I agree that it is not your router or patch cables (CAT5e should work). Maybe you should try one of their free eero routers to see if it has any better in bandwidth.

PONs are usually less problematic than ONTs! Passive Optical Network Terminators are passive which means they just need to convert/transform the fibre signal to ethernet. If this is how your internet is delivered and you have the right equipment you can put the fibre straight into an SFP that's plugged into a suitable router.
If you have an ONT, these often need to de-multiplex the signal from a fibre that's been optically split before it reaches you. De-multiplexing means only pulling out one encoded connection of several that the fibre is carrying, so you've a more complex process with potentially lower capacity and a possibility, no matter how small of eavesdropping!

Ok not a total idiot or at least I think that. I just got 1GB Fiber installed, purchased this router based on good reviews and its not overkill for us. Router connected with CAT6a 550mhz cables ( yeah I know Cat5e would be fine but provider insisted that be used) to WAN 2.5gb connection to PON, Cat 6a to PC with 2.5gb network adapter (under 10ft away on a 15ft cable)coming out of LAN 2.5gb. Problem is I am not seeing anywhere near 1gb on speed tests or in sending large files out or down from my work. I know my work connection is one limitation. But what realistically should I be seeing on speedtests? I have friends who have the same company but in a different area and they never see speedtests below 800mbs down or up. (We noticed video streams buffering, and my wife working from home is seeing just as long uploads, or having to completely redo uploads.) Mine are all over the map I see as slow as 300mbs up to 7-750? Upload is running from 150-300mbs? Have I misread how t connect the router? Is this what I should be seeing? Service I am using is Metronet 1GBs Fiber. Trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I think I do but, never had fiber before. I have friends who have Google Fiber and they tell me something is off? Any advice?
Do you have a KILLER Networking Ethernet or Wireless card by any chance? If you do, then be sure to watch this video:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!