What's new

GT-AX6000 vs RT-AX86U ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallytr

Wondering if the GT-AX6000 is better/faster than the RT-AX86U?

Anyone with experience on this? I'd be curious.
Using a single RT-AX86U on a Gigabit connection (getting ~ 941 Mbps on router Internet Speed test page) , not interested in AiMesh, and looking for a bit more 5 GHz coverage, is that the one?
Not a "Republic of Gamers" member either ;-) so that red user interface...?

15950130_2.jpg

Last edited:
It should be.

But not in any way a 'worthwhile' upgrade from an existing RT-AX86U (unless you have a buyer for the old router already, after testing the new one and find it even slightly superior).

For someone considering a new router (and doesn't have either), the GT-AX6000 is what I would be considering/testing first, in any specific environment.

it was an impulse purchase....but I will likely just take it back without opening, local Best Buy when it shows....
To be honest, I am a bit scared with setting everything up from scratch...and the RT-AX86U is so well supported... I'll wait a year, maybe they will release something like an RT-AXE86U?

An RT-AXE86U would be an entirely different beast since to cover the popular bases along with 6GHz it'd need to be tri-band!

*GT-AX6000 on order, it was either that or replace the fans that cool my RT-AC86U - new fans would be cheaper but we do have a couple of WiFi6 devices already!

An RT-AXE86U would be an entirely different beast since to cover the popular bases along with 6GHz it'd need to be tri-band!

*GT-AX6000 on order, it was either that or replace the fans that cool my RT-AC86U - new fans would be cheaper but we do have a couple of WiFi6 devices already!

On the Wifi 6 devices, we have a couple iPhones and iPads on Wifi 6 but makes zero real world difference... my work notebook is on 160MHz and connecting at 1,700Mbps link speed so that is good but not
needing all that speed.... well, I guess its like a fast car, even if you never drive that fast :)
Somehow it makes me feel good having the most up to date equipment...

I haven't tested WiFi range on the RT-AX86U vs GT-AX6000. I have enough APs that I don't think about range and I'm using wired backhaul on Actiontec MoCA 2.5G to a 5 port 2.5G switch. Saved me from needing to run Ethernet cable all over the house by using the existing coax cables.
I bought the GT-AX6000 so I could make more use of my Xfinity 1.2G connection.

For the GT-AX6000 using the speedtest.net Windows10 application on my laptop (Intel 11800H with AX1675x AX210 WiFi adapter), in a test just now I got 1366.35/42.04 9ms wired and 1111.91/41.61 10ms wireless.

For the RT-AX86U from the same system I got 948.20/42.07 10ms wired and 1140.03/41.72 10ms wireless. (Wired speed limited by using the 1G wired LAN connection with the 2.5G WAN connection since it doesn't have 2 2.5G ports.)

As a side note, I have my WiFi AC clients connecting to the RT-AC88U as they transfer data faster on the AC vs the AX routers. Seems strange but that's the way it's working.

I haven't tested WiFi range on the RT-AX86U vs GT-AX6000. I have enough APs that I don't think about range and I'm using wired backhaul on Actiontec MoCA 2.5G to a 5 port 2.5G switch. Saved me from needing to run Ethernet cable all over the house by using the existing coax cables.
I bought the GT-AX6000 so I could make more use of my Xfinity 1.2G connection.

For the GT-AX6000 using the speedtest.net Windows10 application on my laptop (Intel 11800H with AX1675x AX210 WiFi adapter), in a test just now I got 1366.35/42.04 9ms wired and 1111.91/41.61 10ms wireless.

For the RT-AX86U from the same system I got 948.20/42.07 10ms wired and 1140.03/41.72 10ms wireless. (Wired speed limited by using the 1G wired LAN connection with the 2.5G WAN connection since it doesn't have 2 2.5G ports.)

As a side note, I have my WiFi AC clients connecting to the RT-AC88U as they transfer data faster on the AC vs the AX routers. Seems strange but that's the way it's working.

Xfinity 1.2G connection.
I was looking into that myself but for my use case (mainly media consumption) more than 1G doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe one day everything will just naturally be 10G? Modem, Router, NAS, switches....

Xfinity 1.2G connection.
I was looking into that myself but for my use case (mainly media consumption) more than 1G doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe one day everything will just naturally be 10G? Modem, Router, NAS, switches....
Working from home for the past several years I need the 42 up vs the 24 up I was getting at the slower rate I had previously. (I can't justify the 3G down/3G up for $300/month though.)

Took the GT-AX6000 back, decided I don’t need it, also too expensive, would be OK for me if $399 max (Canada) but it is $499 so more than $200 more than the RT-AX86U.
I will see next year but then I’d likely be interested in 6E (6GHz)…

Last edited:
Working from home for the past several years I need the 42 up vs the 24 up I was getting at the slower rate I had previously. (I can't justify the 3G down/3G up for $300/month though.)
Hello @John_
I am in the same boat with you xfinity 1200. I work from home and the better up speed feels better. I am testing a Gt-ax6000 ($329 USD) compared with my AC86U. I get 20-80% better wifi5 download speeds but not sure it really makes a difference. I put out $760 for this 2.5Gb test with SB8611 and 2.5Gb hub and two adapters. I don't think it will make a difference except downloading a few game updates once a month. I get 941Mb down wired.

I have 5 persons in my house 16 and up. 2000 Sq ft but picked up an extra ac86u for $64 and am thinking of taking my experiment back, buying an used ax86u for $130, and enjoying the 1Gbps internet as is.

Have you noticed any real world speed differences on websites between 941 and 1366?

Do you notice much range difference between the ax86u and Gt-ax6000?

More details in my other primary post.

Thank you for any comments.

Peace ✌️

Have you noticed any real world speed differences on websites between 941 and 1366?

ISP with speeds over 150Mbps doesn't make much difference for browsing. I have a family of 4 and with usual work/learn from home and browsing/streaming speeds rarely exceed 100Mbps on a 500Mbps line. Like many other folks around on cable, I pay for faster upload.

ISP with speeds over 150Mbps doesn't make much difference for browsing. I have a family of 4 and with usual work/learn from home and browsing/streaming speeds rarely exceed 100Mbps on a 500Mbps line. Like many other folks around on cable, I pay for faster upload.
Thank you! What upload meets your needs?

Peace.

I have multiple Internet lines in different places and with different requirements. Home lines 500/30, 300/20 and 100/50 - all good enough. Business lines were upgraded recently to 300/300 with options 500/500 and 940/940.

ive just returned my GT-AX6000 and am still using my ax86u after a year, i noticed PERSONALLY that there is little to no real world difference in all aspects between the two models, if anything i think the ax86u i have runs better than the GT-AX6000 i had.

Yes, depending on client devices, network usage, and other factors (notably, wanting/needing a 2.5GbE WAN/LAN setup, among other things), they are similar, but in my environment, the GT-AX6000 also has ~20% more throughput to the same client at the same distance/location.

When I tested the GT-AX6000 earlier this spring/summer, I too was disappointed and returned both GTs to return to my 2x RT-AX86Us. But after several versions of updates (RMerlin), it is now obviously the better router in my environment.

I am waiting for the chance to get a second GT-AX6000 to sell the two-year-old RT-AX86U I'm still using and move to a 2x GT-AX6000 setup.

The real-world differences to me are very real/noticeable and as stated above, significantly improved from the first time I tried this model so many months ago now.

I sent my GT-AX6000 back simply due to it’s looks. It did not pass the WAF sitting on top of my “networking” cabinet in the living room which effectively hides all my other “ugly” stuff. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!