What's new

Release GT-AXE 11000 Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
Just released:

Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499
2022/08/25 71.34 MBytes
ASUS GT-AXE11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20499
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022

1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TVs, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0. It can easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection. Please download the Instant Guard app in App store or Google play.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 273177b13ae68340eb51d22b5c55d916

CC

Do you know where I can get the latest one with WireGuard support for GT-AX 11000? Thanks.
You will have to wait until Asus releases it.

Those who have installed this firmware did you notice VPN director is gone, different way to set up VPN, a little confusing.

CC

Those who have installed this firmware did you notice VPN director is gone, different way to set up VPN, a little confusing.

CC
VPN Director is an exclusive Asuswrt-Merlin feature, it does not exist on the stock firmware.

I don’t have the honour of owning one of these routers with the latest 388 firmware.

Can someone pls check for me whether there is still a VPN Fusion limit of two concurrent VPN sessions on these beasts?

If not, I’ll be buying one right away.

(No, this is not a cross-post. They are two different routers)

I don’t have the honour of owning one of these routers with the latest 388 firmware.

Can someone pls check for me whether there is still a VPN Fusion limit of two concurrent VPN sessions on these beasts?

If not, I’ll be buying one right away.

(No, this is not a cross-post. They are two different routers)

See below:

1661943392968.png

As soon as I saw this firmware for the GT-AXE11000 and its support for WG config files I dug up my AXE11000 and flashed it with the new firmware-clean install. I then downloaded the WG config file from Proton (I selected VPN accelerator and moderate NAT) and uploaded the WG config file with only one little hiccup (for some reason the last entry had extraneous characters after the port input field-deleting these characters did the trick-connected straight away). My whole network is under the default connection Proton VPN (paid) and so far my devices work without a hitch including Time Machine with a noticeable performance improvement (no measurements yet) over ethernet and wifi compared to OpenVPN as expected. Will update with any issues encountered and quantitative measurements-very encouraging results so far. Oh sorry, WG stands for the VPN protocol Wireguard.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw this firmware for the GT-AXE11000 and its support for WG config files I dug up my AXE11000 and flashed it with the new firmware-clean install. I then downloaded the WG config file from Proton (I selected VPN accelerator and moderate NAT) and uploaded the WG config file with only one little hiccup (for some reason the last entry had extraneous characters after the port input field-deleting these characters did the trick-connected straight away). My whole network is under the default connection Proton VPN (paid) and so far my devices work without a hitch including Time Machine with a noticeable performance improvement (no measurements yet) over ethernet and wifi compared to OpenVPN as expected. Will update with any issues encountered and quantitative measurements-very encouraging results so far. Oh sorry, WG stands for the VPN protocol Wineguard.

I would love to setup wireguard with Nord VPN but at this I am a novice. Is there a easy to follow step by step on how to do this on our router?

CC

I would love to setup wireguard with Nord VPN but at this I am a novice. Is there a easy to follow step by step on how to do this on our router?

CC
Unfortunately NordVPN does not have WG config files available (yet-let them know you would like to have a WG config file for NordVPN) but incorporated in their NordLynx protocol/apps. There are other VPN providers that provide WG config files as part of your subscription Proton being one of them which I use personally. I am sure there are tech savvy members here that perhaps give you a work-around for creating a WG config file from NordVPN but alas I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

It’s really cool that you have 3 SSIDs

But I was hoping for 3 active, concurrent, WireGuard sessions.

I was just showing you can have up to 16 servers to set up not the 3 SSID's.

CC

You can add 16 profiles, but only two can be active at the same time.

I need minimum three.
Per the VPN Fusion FAQ the max number of concurrent connections is 4.

Reading through that thread it seems with NAT off there is a big speed trade off according to Merlin. I have 1 GB internet.
Yep, Also Asus turned off NAT hardware acceleration(FlowCache) in the RC-3 beta firmware when Wireguard was enabled. Eager to know if Asus/Broadcom solved the issue in the 388 release and could keep it on. If not all wan traffic will be limited to 300-500Mbit/s (Wireguard included).

I am assuming Proton is a lot easier because of the config file?
Easier, yes for sure. But it won't make any difference regarding FlowCache.

Interesting!

But maybe that’s two client sessions, the WAN connection and an InstantGuard connection?

I can definitely confirm that the max client connections possible on an AX88U is 2

“It reached the max number of concurrent active VPN connections, please deactivate one of active VPN profile before activate a new one”

Although, that could be a WireGuard limitation. I will eventually try and add an OpenVPN tunnel as well.

But to really make this work, I need a tri-band router and tri-band iPad. Hopefully they announce 6 GHz Apple devices in a week.

I realised today that you need to turn on Private WLAN Address (iOS) to achieve this dual/tri-band functionality. It was already on, so it just worked.

Last edited:

As we now know, there is a hardware-imposed connection limitation of 2 concurrent sessions only the AX88U only.

AX11000 PRO was announced in Australia recently, but could still be months away.

I don’t think I really need a 6GHz router. Triband will be enough - and 4 concurrent WireGuard sessions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!