What's new

GT-AXE11000 - how to use open vpn server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pupster

Occasional Visitor
I am upgrading from a dying RT-AC5300. I exported the config file (.ovpn) and the certificate file (.cert). I tried to install the .cert file in my new GT-AXE1100 by uploading it into the VPN server settings since I would like to preserve my VPN settings (rather than have to reprogram everything). However, the server won't start up. Under the old VPN server, I could set specific settings, etc. With the new server, I tried to copy the settings, but the server still is in "starting up" phase and never fully starts. Any ideas?

Furthermore, I tried to import a .ovpn config into the VPN Fusion client. When I try to connect, it fails. With my old OpenVPN client interface (replaced by FusionVPN) I was able to just manually tweak the settings. However, I can't do that in the new interface. So, I am unable to connect to OpenVPN Clients.

Finally, with the PPTP which I tried as a last ditch resort to connect my new router to a remote router (also an older RT-AC5300) running Asus merlin, I was able to connect vita PPTP, since apparently when I go to "whatismyip.com," I get a new IP reflective of the remote router's IP address. However, I am not able to connect to devices behind that remote router. Is it a setting I have to adjust on the remote side to allow browsing/connection to the devices behind the remote router?

I just want some way to remotely link the two routers, and until now, OpenVPN was the way I used to do it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!