What's new

GT-AXE16000 AP Mode Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maczrool

New Around Here
I replaced an Asus RT-N66 operating in AP mode connected to an EdgeRouter 4 used to replace AT&T's buggy normally imposed fiber routers via wpa_supplicant on the EdgeRouter. I wanted and bought the GT-AXE16000 for its much improved wireless and its 3 multigig ports. If I set the AXE16000 in AP mode, most of my wireless clients, although able to ping by name and IP, cannot connect to the Internet over this connection. All wired devices connected to the switch of the GT-AXE16000 can connect to the Internet without issue. All devices, wireless and wired can see everything internal to the network. I cannot figure out why the RT-N66 AP works but not the GT-AXE16000 set up in exactly the same manner. I've tried updating firmware, Merlin and Asus tech support to no avail. I'm pretty close to returning it since something seems to be amiss with the AP implementation but was wondering if anyone else encountered this and was able to fix it. Thanks!

I replaced an Asus RT-N66 operating in AP mode connected to an EdgeRouter 4 used to replace AT&T's buggy normally imposed fiber routers via wpa_supplicant on the EdgeRouter. I wanted and bought the GT-AXE16000 for its much improved wireless and its 3 multigig ports. If I set the AXE16000 in AP mode, most of my wireless clients, although able to ping by name and IP, cannot connect to the Internet over this connection. All wired devices connected to the switch of the GT-AXE16000 can connect to the Internet without issue. All devices, wireless and wired can see everything internal to the network. I cannot figure out why the RT-N66 AP works but not the GT-AXE16000 set up in exactly the same manner. I've tried updating firmware, Merlin and Asus tech support to no avail. I'm pretty close to returning it since something seems to be amiss with the AP implementation but was wondering if anyone else encountered this and was able to fix it. Thanks!
Just wanted to write that I've noticed a similar problem. I'm also in AP mode, but my iPhone on 2.4GHz when going to sleep for a while and waking won't be able to access the internet. It can view web UIs (e.g. router, AP) via LAN, but Internet access doesn't work. This hasn't ever occurred on the 5GHz networks with the same device. I've reset the wifi settings ("Forget this network") for both 2.4GHz/5GHz, but it still persists only on 2.4GHz. For reference, I'm also running Merlin version 386.8 firmware. If I disconnect and reconnect, then everything works. I'm going to try to disable 802.11ax on 2.4 GHz to see if that's related.

Sorry about that. I wish I had something to add, but I ended up returning it because the return window was closing. I will probably just buy Ubiquity APs and forget this Asus nonsense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!