What's new

GT-AXE16000 cant save Smart Connect settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure who your comment is directed at or what your point is.

I have a device that I want to be on the 6ghz Wifi 6E band the majority of the time, and fall back to the 5ghz Wifi 6 band when out of range of 6ghz, and back and forth without having to manually intervene.

That doesn't seem like a very unique or uncommon request. But it has seemingly been impossible for me to solve reliably.

I've tried having separate SSID's entirely, combining the SSIDs without Smart Connect, and I am seemingly unable to even test whether Smart Connect with steering configured would do the trick since the Smart Connect rules page is bugged.

There's no control on the phone side to prioritize 6E, so what other options do I have other than telling my router to send suggestion packets via Smart Connect rules?

6GHz is said to have less penetration/range than 5Ghz. You may have to use different SSIDs and manually band steer your clients to have it your way.

OE

6GHz is said to have less penetration/range than 5Ghz. You may have to use different SSIDs and manually band steer your clients to have it your way.

OE
Which it's doing. No more you can make it do. The client is who decides.

I understand these points, but I don't accept that there's nothing more that can be done.

Say I connect my phone to the 6ghz band and then take my trash out. Once I come back inside I have to manually go back to the 6ghz SSID every time? Why is it unacceptable to configure the router to nudge that client back to 6ghz? I understand the client ultimately decides what to do, but I don't see any reason we need human intervention every time we need to traverse back and forth between 5ghz and 6ghz bands.

You don't need human intervention, you need patience (if it works on a certain device because it's up to the device, not the router).

Or, you can build better drivers. Please share when you do.

I don't see any reason we need human intervention every time we need to traverse back and forth between 5ghz and 6ghz bands

What difference does it make in user experience between 5GHz and 6GHz connection on a phone? Why you stress yourself for no reason?

I had a long, concise response typed out going down the path of justifying my feelings and reasoning, but I see that no matter what I say I am not going to find any support here.

Getting back to the actual point, there does still appear to be an actual bug in the Smart Connect rules page on the AXE-16000, which is what brought me here in the first place. I can continually reproduce a console error every time I press the "Apply" button. I do hope Asus takes the time to resolve it.

1702604991878.png

Have a nice day all.

I understand these points, but I don't accept that there's nothing more that can be done.
If you've got band-steering on in either flavor, take a look in your router logs and you should see records of the router suggesting things to the client, especially as it roams around. Not really anything more you can do from the router's perspective. Sorry.

I’m afraid I’ll be another naysayer, but what typically happens once you lose a 6 GHz connection and switch to the 5GHz band is that the client will see the 6 GHz band as weaker than what you’re already on, so it will stay put. Even if you’re right next to the router, it doesn’t see enough difference to trigger the jump back to 6 GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online