What's new

GT-AXE16000 product page/marketing has been posted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The 'Tech Specs' link is (mostly) blank. :)

Any ballpark concepts of how much this thing is going to cost? Makes me want to return my routers with "only" two multi-gig ports.

From who/where did you hear this?

From who/where did you hear this?
Mostly from self-proclaimed experts who were using the 11000 as a basis. The speculation was that the 16000 would list for approx $100 more than the 11000. I hope that’s an accurate estimate. I’d hate to have to shell out more than that. We’re beginning to approach prosumer prices here. Not quite as steep as Cisco business-class equipment but still pricey for home users.

Why does a 2022 router with these specs need to be backward compatible to a/b/g standards?

For eventual legacy clients support.
I state the following with my shock and amazement tone, and not me being argumentative.

Eventual? What is currently being used by The Masses, which requires a/b/g or n?
I'm finding it difficult to believe that a person "needing" a wifi 6 and 2.5/10Gbps router is going to also require such legacy support.

Last edited:
Someone may have started a DIY spaceship project back in 2000 with 802.11b wireless link for launch data upload before firing the solid fuel rocket engine stuffed with 150.000.000 matchsticks... still work in progress. Scheduled flight rushed for 2022 due to geopolitical situation development.

@Tech9
I said Masses, not matches.
Still watching this router and fw developments ;)

The hardware chip supports it, so no reason for Asus or other manufacturers to start artificially disabling support for older standards. They use the same channels as newer standards anyway.

Why does a 2022 router with these specs need to be backward compatible to a/b/g standards?

Why is the hardware backward compatible? Because the Wi-Fi Alliance and IEEE have so far been reluctant to remove these outdated standards, their reasoning is that future IoT devices may need these slower networks because they provide better transmission distance and lower power consumption.

and you can already disable support for 802.11b in Asuswrt.

I understand the responses given, and I shouldn't be negative.
On a positive, I will be able to connect The Most Powerful Asus Router to my 2006 wireless n Foscam camera, if I can remember where I put them.

Well, Q1, 2022 ends tonight at midnight. Unless Asus releases the 16000 today, they will have blown their announced release schedule of Q1, 2022. Must be some serious issues in either the h/w or the f/w for them to slip the date with no news on the model literally since the early January announcement at CES. Anyone else heard anything?

Well, Q1, 2022 ends tonight at midnight. Unless Asus releases the 16000 today, they will have blown their announced release schedule of Q1, 2022. Must be some serious issues in either the h/w or the f/w for them to slip the date with no news on the model literally since the early January announcement at CES. Anyone else heard anything?
"Missed Release Date" is no reason to be concerned.
Spent the last two weeks not thinking about this router, until your post.
I've been following the "goofy looking" antennae-swapping thread :)
Currently waiting patiently to discover if the router will be enhanced by The RMerlin FW, which is most important to me, prior to a new router purchase.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!