1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Guest mode not allowing Intranet

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by EventPhotoMan, Jul 20, 2018.

1. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Regular Contributor

what is the chances of having a check box to the firmware to allow my guest clients access to the intranet?

In my case, I place smart devices on separate SSIDs for isolation purposes. Easy trouble shooting is always helpful.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Somewhere between no hope and Bob Hope. :D

sfx2000 likes this.
  4. EventPhotoMan

Why do you say that?

Steve Jobs Didn’t take no for an answer...

5. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

@EventPhotoMan
    Maybe via command line (adjust wl0.1 for the appropriate guest instance)

nvram set wl0.1_lanaccess=on
    nvram commit
    service restart_wireless

6. EventPhotoMan

3F142351-26D3-4B15-8B56-2586909E2D73.png 8820CAFC-086C-4381-89E4-92B109AEDAD6.png Funny on my gateway/router there is an option to limit intranet for guest accounts.

But for all my access point their is no option

7. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Ahh....you didn't say Access Point......no hope.

8. ColinTaylor

And there was me thinking he was talking about buttons for each individual client rather than the entire SSID (which is already there in router mode).

9. EventPhotoMan

Can someone explain the difference why the router has this option and why the access point does not?

10. ColinTaylor

Because the ability to allow/disallow guest clients access to the intranet is done with the rules that route traffic between the physical interfaces on the router. An access point doesn't do any routing.

11. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Or Johnny Cash and No Cash... Steve Jobs and No Jobs

We all hope Kevin Bacon has a long time left...

ecf2eb42f810610bfff16942eed066f8.jpg

12. sfx2000

It's a routing function within AsusWRT, in AP mode, it's disabled, along with a lot of other things.

13. EventPhotoMan

I actually called asus And started a trouble ticket with their research and development team, I explained my situation, and what I was trying to do with guest clients. They are going to look into seeing if an option can be made to allow for intranet

14. EventPhotoMan

What are the other things that are disabled when using at guest account?

15. EventPhotoMan

That being said, any account, sorry, any clients connected to a guest account through an access point, would have full Access to the intranet, how long does the router know the difference between a client connected to the main SS ID as compared to a guest account?

16. ColinTaylor

Well that won't get very far. :rolleyes: It's technically not possible in AP mode. It's networking 101.

17. ColinTaylor

It's nothing to do with using a guest account. It's about whether the Asus is configured as a router or an access point.

18. ColinTaylor

By "guest account" you really mean connected to one of the wireless guest networks.

Are you taking about a guest SSID on the router or a guest SSID on the access point (which is in turn connected to a router)?

19. sfx2000

It's possible, but it would complicate things - at present, I think the Asus folks are more focused on the AIMesh stuff, so the ticket might be put at a pretty low priority unless there's benefit to the AIMesh work, IMHO...

20. ColinTaylor

Well I suppose anything's possible if they're willing to redesign the entire router - but within the current design it's not possible. I doubt they're suddenly going to implement VLAN support after all these years.

21. sfx2000

That and introducing a level of complexity that can get many into trouble without even trying...

The guys over in Cupertino - the Guest Network is a VLAN on Wireless, and as such, it can be "extended" to other AP's, either wired backhaul, or via Wireless - but even there - they make a clear decision...

Guest Network is untrusted - even with Authenticating the WiFi, the Wireless clients can only access the internet, and cannot interact with the "private" LAN resources - and they do AP isolation, so clients cannot see each other - so they take a broad concept and then narrowly limit the scope of what the Guest Wireless clients can do.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!