What's new

Guest network access intranet setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamesl

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 installed. I am testing my guest network configuration and not seeing the expected results, and not consistently.

I have the following networks:
wired
local 2.4
local 5.0
guest network for friends and family (guest 2.4 index 1, access intranet disabled)
guest network for 2.4 IoT (guest 2.4 index 2, access intranet disabled)
guest network for 5.0 IoT (guest 5.0 index 3, access intranet disabled)

I have 2 laptops that I have jumping around all the networks, logging into each network accordingly to test.

1. In the local network, the wired, 2.4, and 5.0 clients can ping each other as expected.
2. From the local network, the clients can sometimes ping clients in all 3 guest networks.
a. Does disabling "Access Intranet" only prevent the clients on the guest network from accessing clients on the local network, but not prevent clients on the local network from accessing clients on the guest network?
b. I mention sometimes because I have repeated the tests, and sometimes it pings, sometimes it times out. Does this have anything to do with the same laptops jumping between the local and guest networks and having some settings/access carry over?
3. From the guest network, the clients can sometimes ping each other across all 3 networks.
a. Should clients on a guest network be isolated from another client on the same guest network?
b. Should clients on a guest network be isolated from another client on a different guest network?
b. Same as above with inconsistent results. Settings/access carry over?

Thank you for your help.

Change the "guest network for friends and family" from index 1 to index 3. Index 1 (on both bands) works differently than the other two indexes and has reported issues. Index 1 is primarily used to propagate the guest network to AiMesh nodes.

Then test again and see if your results are more consistent.