What's new

Guest network disabling main network Asus RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igumike

New Around Here
Hi,

I've had a search through the forum and can't find anything related to this. Forgive me if I've mis-searched.

I'm running Merlin 380.65.4 on my ASUS RT-AC87U. It's not a particularly complex set up, I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks for my home along with 1 2.4Ghz guest network. Yesterday I added a second (2.4Ghz) guest network and suddenly nothing on my 2.4GHz 'main' network would connect (5Ghz was ok). I tried various reboots but the only thing that returned the status quo was removing the second guest account....after that all was well.

I've never tried more than one guest network with the router before, with or without Merlin so this may not be of any relevance.

Is this something that may be cleared with a reset, a Merlin issue I'm not aware of or, possibly a specific issue with my router? Any suggestions\insights would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Mike

I had a different problem - I tried switching on a guest network for the 5GHz band (I already have one running on 2.4GHz). As soon as I did that, the 5GHz band changed from channel 36 to 100+, which caused my Amazon Fire TV to disconnect as it doesn't like the 100+ bands. It also switched off the isolation from the main network feature. Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but it does seem to suggest that there is something wrong since with the guest networks.

Could be a connection there. I didn't check if any of my 2.4GHz connections settings changed (and then presumably back after disabling the guest network) at the time. I will try again and see if anything changed, channel, or otherwise.