What's new

Guest Network on Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

echozulu

New Around Here
I'm looking for something a bit different.

I have an AC86U as my router and an AC68U as my node. I run an airbnb in an adjacent property with the node in that house, tied into my main router.

I would like to have a guest network on that node only for the guests to use to access the internet, while my main network is still in a mesh configuration so my smart locks, thermostats etc run off the main network segregated from guests. Is this possible at all? I don't need guest network propagation across nodes.

I could turn the second one into a repeater, but that would mean I would have to run all my IOT devices in that house on a separate network.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Yes, you could wait for Aimesh phase 2 where guest SSID shall be supported on nodes too.
Then we will have to hope and pray that they will do with full support and not half way like now.

Why can't you use your existing setup and disallow intranet access on the guest network?
My existing setup is a mesh network. Everyone is on one network, obviously undesirable since they have access to my printer and Chromecast and stuff.

Right .. When you define your Guest Network, You have the option to Enable/Disable "Intranet Access". "Disable" should mean that the Guest Network will not have access to any server on your Primary Network.

Right .. When you define your Guest Network, You have the option to Enable/Disable "Intranet Access". "Disable" should mean that the Guest Network will not have access to any server on your Primary Network.
I don't have a guest network right now, since my understanding is that guest networks do not propogate across mesh networks yet. A guest network off my main router won't reach all parts of the second house.

You could setup a guest SSID on your router and then use the ac68 as a repeater for the guest SSID. The ac68 should then only allow access to guest wifi. Not ideal, but buying used ac68 routers on ebay is pretty cheap right now.

Last edited:
You could setup a guest SSID on your router and then use the ac68 as a repeater for the guest SSID. The ac68 should then only allow access to guest wifi. Not ideal, but buying used ac68 routers on ebay is pretty cheap right now.

Won't work, as OP wants the IoT devices connected on the 68U to be on the main network (and not accessible for Airbnb guests).

Won't work, as OP wants the IoT devices connected on the 68U to be on the main network (and not accessible for Airbnb guests).
I guess i would want my iot devices on a guest network and segregated from everything else.

He would need two routers in the remote site. One for guest, the other IOT. I've been buying ac68 non tmobile routers on ebay for all of $40....

Yes, you could wait for Aimesh phase 2 where guest SSID shall be supported on nodes too.
Then we will have to hope and pray that they will do with full support and not half way like now.

I don’t follow the beta thread too closely so I’m not familiar with the status of the development so far, but is this a planned/confirmed feature?

In what way is it “half way” now? What’s working and what isn’t?

Exactly what mentioned here: guest-SSID wont propagate on node, so mostly useless if someone want to use AiMesh.
And they would then need it for home AND guest.

Other part that it doesnt work well for different routers, e.g. my 86U-68U.
Or smart connect is still not possible with this combination.
And yes, very many would use the older cheap 68U as node ...

Thats all halve way done, like many things on these routers.
Since 20 years all my devices now when there is summertime in EU, except asus routers!
Would be very minor work for them to correct it, but never happens.
Or after one year 86U I still see only twice the MAC addresses but no hostname or at least IP.
Screenshot-2018-7-1 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Übersicht.png

And there are so many other things, never solved or even working before and broken with an update (broken bridge/AP-mode) ...

Arthurlien from asus wrote guest-support will come in phase2, only we dont know when or whether even this will be.

As many other features they announced and never came or felt asleep:
facebook support
Asus-DDNS in multi-NAT

Last edited:
I guess i would want my iot devices on a guest network and segregated from everything else.

He would need two routers in the remote site. One for guest, the other IOT. I've been buying ac68 non tmobile routers on ebay for all of $40....

I mostly just don't want my guests to have access to some of the IOT stuff I have in that house so I'm segregating guests from the devices, but I guess it's not terrible to put them all on the same network. I'll set it up as a repeater for now and hope that the Phase 2 allows guest network propagation.

I mostly just don't want my guests to have access to some of the IOT stuff I have in that house so I'm segregating guests from the devices, but I guess it's not terrible to put them all on the same network. I'll set it up as a repeater for now and hope that the Phase 2 allows guest network propagation.
Any way to install Merlin firmware or any other firmware in the T-Mobile Router I have 5 of those I got 3 for free I paid for one thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

What is the connection to your second node? Is it wired? If so just revert to AP mode and manage it yourself. I'm getting ready to scrap AiMesh because of all these "little limitations" we find. As someone else said, I'm hoping AiMesh 2 is more fully planned out by people who have actually used mesh setups over the year ;)

As someone else said, I'm hoping AiMesh 2 is more fully planned out by people who have actually used mesh setups over the year ;)

What is AiMesh 2?

What other consumer WiFi mesh system have you used and recommend?

OE

What is AiMesh 2?

What other consumer WiFi mesh system have you used and recommend?

OE
I use the term AiMesh 2 to represent the future (at least I hope there's a future).

The mesh systems I've used aren't consumer. I come from a telco wireless background and I was also very involved in the "City wide WiFi" push of a decade or so ago before cellular data was as ubiquitous as it is today (which by the way is a mesh :) ).

I think AiMesh has promise and have posted recently a couple things I think they need to do to make it more usable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!