What's new

Guest Network to OpenVPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dolphran

New Around Here
Hello - I wanted to test my OpenVPN setup on multiple devices, so I set them to use the Guest Wifi, and then tried to access the OpenVPN server on the router. After much hair pulling I realized this just doesn't work. In order to test the VPN access I have to go where there is another WiFi network, and VPN in from there. Is this a bug or is it intended to work this way for some reason? It sure would be nice if I could VPN in from the guest network.
Thank you.

You have to VPN 'in' from the internet (WAN) side of your network. Not from the LAN side (which your Guest networks are part of).

1. As @L&LD says, your config should have the remote line point to your DDNS address, or your static IP if you have one instead. It should export that way anyway, but I have seen them be wrong.
2. I think it is a good idea to use the local command to have the servers listen only on the WAN interface.

I've found that testing the server from within the network is good for determining the config is working and while you are fiddling with settings or setting up multiple devices, but best is to test from where you want to use it. Also why having both servers running is a good idea.

You have to VPN 'in' from the internet (WAN) side of your network. Not from the LAN side (which your Guest networks are part of).
I understand what you are saying, and this is the issue I am bringing up. I don't understand why this needs to be a "have to". I've used DD-WRT routers in the past with which this kind of looped back access worked fine. The only reason to use the Guest network specifically, because it easily proves the function of getting to my private LAN addresses, which the Guest network does not normally have access to. Very convenient, and I think it would be a welcome addition to the firmware.