What's new

Guest vlan in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JJay03

Occasional Visitor
I am currently running in router mode with a guest ssid running on a separate network from my main network and SSID. If I get another router/firewall can I connect the asus to it and have my guest network and my main network going over this connection to the new firewall. I am guessing that the asus probably wont be able to trunk on this connection. Just wanted to ask so I can plan out my design before I order the new firewall.

The short answer is "no, Asus routers don't support VLANs".

There's a longer answer but it only applies if you're using all-Asus devices, or are willing to write custom scripts. There is also an edge-case scenario.

Vlans and trunking works well. Use robocfg to setup any scenario you want. I use multiple vlans for all sorts of reasons, including isolated guest networks. As long as your other devices also support your desired network setup, you can make it work.

Here's a short example (I have a much more elaborate setup on my ASUS . . . using also Netgear ProSafe switches and other routers in the mix in my setup. Asus works without problems):

nvram set vlan1ports="1 2 3* 4 5*"
nvram set vlan400ports="3* 4* 5*"
robocfg vlan 1 ports "1 2 3t 4t 5t"
robocfg vlan 400 ports "3t 4 5t"

Obviously you'll want to configure iptables/ip6tables and ebtables appropriately depending on what you're doing.