What's new

Guest wireless vlan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric Lieb

So I decided to fully change my network to a dedicated opnsense/pfsense router with an 8 port managed switch and using my ax86s and ac86u in ap wireless mode. I still need a wireless guest network so do I have to introduce a 3rd wireless router on its own vlan or is there a way for me to tag a guest vlan on the Asus routers using merlinwrt? I know the ax 86 pro seems to have this option but cant find reference anywhere else.

Last edited:
So I decided to fully change my network to a dedicated opnsense/pfsense router with an 8 port managed switch and using my ax86s and ac68u in ap wireless mode. I still need a wireless guest network so do I have to introduce a 3rd wireless router on its own vlan or is there a way for me to tag a guest vlan on the Asus routers using merlinwrt? I know the ax 86 pro seems to have this option but cant find reference anywhere else.
68u should support freshtomato which has vlan support. Not sure about the 86. It can be done with scripts too.

@slackjaw99 may help you with that.

My advice - replace the home routers to proper APs with PoE and native VLAN support.
I found this which seems pretty straight forward https://www.testipenkki.com/?p=52 Will give it a shot. I dont want to invest in new APs at this moment.

68u should support freshtomato which has vlan support. Not sure about the 86. It can be done with scripts too.

Sorry had a typo.. my other router is an 86u not a 68u. So no tomato support.

I don't know. Never played with this on Asus NHD routers and was never interested.

@slackjaw99 says it's easy on any Asus router - wait for further instructions. I know it's possible, but model specific.

Yes it should work, on the HND chipsets "brctl" and "ip link" seems to be the magic combo. Some use vlanctl but seems ip link is easier.

There is a thread here on the topic where they seem to work through trying both ways.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-86u-vlanctl-ethctl-usage-puzzle.54375/ - looks like the link you have has it narrowed down and just needs to be modified for the VLANs you want to use. Of course test after and make sure it is doing what you want it to do (blocking guests from LAN etc).

Note you have to disable hardware acceleration on HND routers to use vlans.

Yes it should work, on the HND chipsets "brctl" and "ip link" seems to be the magic combo. Some use vlanctl but seems ip link is easier.

There is a thread here on the topic where they seem to work through trying both ways.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-86u-vlanctl-ethctl-usage-puzzle.54375/ - looks like the link you have has it narrowed down and just needs to be modified for the VLANs you want to use. Of course test after and make sure it is doing what you want it to do (blocking guests from LAN etc).

Note you have to disable hardware acceleration on HND routers to use vlans.

Since I will be using the AX86S and AC86U in AP Mode isn't NAT acceleration already disabled since NAT is disabled? I will be using a dedicated OPNSense box for the router off my ONT and an "easysmart" 8 port switch with vlan support.

Since I will be using the AX86S and AC86U in AP Mode isn't NAT acceleration already disabled since NAT is disabled? I will be using a dedicated OPNSense box for the router off my ONT and an "easysmart" 8 port switch with vlan support.

Not sure if all acceleration is disabled in AP mode, probably just have to try it and see.

There is no WAN in AP mode. Nothing to accelerate there.

But does it disable hardware acceleration or just not use it? Worth mentioning in case OP has issues, since VLANs will run through the CPU and HW acceleration prevents them from working.

People using it in router mode with VLANs find it doesn't work, even though the VLANs are only on the LAN.

There is no GUI option to disable NAT acceleration on HND routers, has to be done in SSH and may not survive reboot/update.

Well yeah but this is all going to be scripted anyway along with the VLAN config.