What's new

Guest WLANs in AiMesh AP Mode...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes

AiMesh restricts guest WLANs to the root node, presumably because guest WLANs on remote nodes (as on traditional wired APs) would not restrict guest access to the LAN... not yet anyway.

I know this to be true when the root node is in AiMesh Router mode. But how does a guest WLAN behave when the root node is in AiMesh AP mode... are guest WLANs available and do they restrict guest access to the non-AiMesh site router LAN? I suspect not, which would suggest that guest WLANs are not yet viable in AiMesh AP mode.

Perhaps someone using AiMesh in AP mode can confirm.

OE

I don’t think so, unless asus no longer uses ebtables/iptables to isolate guest networks.
Asus should use vlans from the beginning of their aimesh release because vlans can be extended to nodes.

But you can still try to use vlans according to this guide, but it will be difficult.

the good news is that asus is trying to improve this:
I've seen hints in recent firmware code that Asus might be working on adding Guest networking support to AiMesh.

I am currently running my 86U in AP/AiMesh mode with my 1900P as a wireless AiMesh node. I have the guest network enabled on the 86U and it works great. Guest have no access to the rest of my network, only the internet.

This setup was the only way for me to get IPv6 working reliably due to my ISP using CGNAT. If I put their modem in bridge mode, it worked for a few days but eventually my 86U would lose internet connection until I rebooted. I dislike not having the ability to monitor traffic, run QoS or have Skynet running but now my network is very stable and very responsive, thus the wife is very happy.

EDIT: I just ran further test and indeed, the Guest network does have access to my network. That sux.... come on Asus.... you really need to get your s**t together. I guess this is to be expected since AP mode disables the firewall functionality.

Last edited:
EDIT: I just ran further test and indeed, the Guest network does have access to my network. That sux.... come on Asus.... you really need to get your s**t together.

Thanks for confirming this... both items. :)

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!