What's new

GuestGate by Intellinet (Florida)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radim48188

New Around Here
Hello,

does anybody have experience with GuestGate?

http://www.guestgate.com/us/en/

I cannot find any reviews. I want to offer have 2 networks at home, my existing secure one (hopefully it is :) and a very open WLAN to offer to nannies, guests, kids' Nintendo DS, wireless photoframes, etc. The GuestGate seems to be the answer. As an alternative I am considering Monowall on Soekris hardware.

Radim

It seems like a glorafied VLan, something you can easily build with m0n0wall, or pfSense with a spare PC. A good SmartSwitch will do the same thing, minus a captive portal.

Just a thought. I use m0n0wall at work as a captive portal for our guest/contractor wireless, wich a switch VLan to keep it away from the network.

I've never liked the idea of allowing access based on MAC addresses, or computer name, so I would also go with a VPN client of some sort to get into your home network. I personally use a cisco firewall as a swis-army-router at home. Most of the features can be built into a good m0n0wall/pfSense PC as well (Well.. aside from the cisco security, but you get the idea).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!