What's new

GUI Locking Up RT-AC66U Running 380.63/380.64

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ravager

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Merlin and I'm really trying to make it work, but I'm running into problems around every corner. After my failed attempt to get an advanced trunking configuration working, I'm now just simply using the AP-Mode and I'm having continuous lockouts from the GUI. I'm able to access approximately 3 or 4 menus in the GUI before it locks me out and the only way to recover after lockout is to reboot. The switch and the wifi continue to work during the GUI lockout, I just can't access the GUI.

I've done a factory-reset, I've tried: Safari, Chrome, Edge and IE and the result is the same. It works for maybe 5 mins and then locks up.

Point in case was today. I noticed that 380.64 came out and I was excited about the possibility of a fix to my issue. I power cycled the router, logged in the GUI, chose administration and firmware upgrade, this completed successfully. After the firmware upgrade completed I logged back in to the GUI, I could see that the firmware upgraded properly on the status page, clicked the administration tab and the page just spins and spins and spins.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated as I'm strongly considering returning the router at this point.....

Are you using HTTPS? The GUI has hanged/frozen/locked up for the past couple of versions here when I had HTTPS enabled. I then disabled it and the GUI is OK.

Are you using HTTPS? The GUI has hanged/frozen/locked up for the past couple of versions here when I had HTTPS enabled. I then disabled it and the GUI is OK.

Sorry I should have mentioned that, I had read that commented by others as well, so I'm just running HTTP. All I've changed from factory reset is admin password, SSID, passphrase and encryption....

Are you running ESET , Avast or another security suite that does network security? These can often cause problems and you need to whitelist the router's ip.

Also, make sure your browsers aren't configured to block all cookies.

Are you running ESET , Avast or another security suite that does network security? These can often cause problems and you need to whitelist the router's ip.

Also, make sure your browsers aren't configured to block all cookies.

All great suggestions, again thanks so much. I'm not running any of the above and I've added the site as a trusted site, also added as an exclusion to all popup blockers, but to no avail.

I should also mention I've tried the ASUS IOS App and it doesn't work either....

ok so I've enabled SSH and when the browser locks up it appears SSH is fine.. This is certainly the GUI locking up. I just reset to factory again and went through my configuration process. One thing I may have done "extra" is disable WPS, does has anyone else run into this?

Ok, so when it hangs, I can also get it going again by running a service restart_httpd in the CLI. However I cannot get into the GUI at all now. It loads the login page, I login and it just spins.....

Per chance is your router an AC66U_B1?

It gets confusing. The AC66U_B1 is a dual core processor with a front USB port and can't use the Merlin fwd for the older AC66U. Yours is likely an AC66U HW version B0, the older version.

B1 must be part of the model number, not of the HW revision. This new model's complete description is RT-AC66U_B1, HW revision A0.

If that's what you really have, you can flash the RT-AC68U firmware on it. I got a sample from Asus this week, and was able to confirm that the firmware works as-is, with no change required.

In your case, I suspect something is causing your web server to crash. Make sure you don't use anything overly fancy as your username, password or SSID configuration. Stick to alphanumericals as much as possible. Try also unplugging your other connected devices to see if one of them might be responsible for the crash.

Thanks for the clarification, mine is a straight B0 revision. My SSID config is simple, I did change the username from the default admin and the password is simple by all accounts, long, but simple.

I'll try adding these things one at a time to a basic configuration and see if I can isolate it. Thanks for the help.

and the password is simple by all accounts, long, but simple.
Password length is limited to 15 characters.....any longer and you'll get into the situation you are seeing. Interesting, because the gui shouldn't have let you enter anything longer. Did you paste it in?

18 characters long, so that could be part of the problem. Yes I pasted it. Is there a way to change the password from the command line?

If you have ssh access set up with a certificate.....then ssh to the router and

nvram set http_password=max15charpw
nvram commit
service restart_httpd

I'm not sure if password access with the longer password will work with either telnet or ssh, but it's probably worth a try. Then the same procedure.

I ran the command and now I seem to be locked out :(
Even after a reboot? Password alphanumerics only....no spaces or special characters?
You might also try clearing your browser cache/cookies.

Otherwise, sorry, that should have worked. Then it will be time for a factory reset.

ok I rebooted, the commands don't seem to have changed anything, so the old password was still good. I was able to get into the GUI for long enough to change the password. Now it's only 12 characters, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have been it. I'm going to try to change the username back to the default next.

That's interesting.....are you sure you don't have another PC/device on the network with the same IP as the router? Worst case.....turn everything off that's connected to the router to check.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!