What's new

GUI on AiMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bachastain

Regular Contributor
I have a pair of RT_66U B1 in a AiMesh pair.

192.168.1.1 Mesh Router
192.168.1.18 Mesh Node

When I try to access the GUI at 192.168.1.18 it seems to redirect me to the GUI on 192.168.1.1 instead.

However, when I telnet to those 2 IPs I get the right boxes. Is there a way to access the GUI on the Mesh Node or am I'm not supposed to do that?

Bruce.

you cant access node after meshing, remove it as mesh-device, it will reset and show initial config page

doesnt make any sense, what do you want to set there without breaking AiMesh?

I was reading the release notes on the next beta release (68) and it mentions that MANY of the settings are not copied from the router to the node, in particular the Professional settings. I've changed some of the Professional settings on the router so I wanted to be able to duplicate those changes in the node, until the next major release does that for me, which might be months away. I'm not willing to run a beta release because depending on how reliable it is, my family might either thank me or kill me.

I see, maybe you're lucky with telnet/SSH, you could try, dont know.

Last edited:
doesnt make any sense, what do you want to set there without breaking AiMesh?

Umm .... IGMP Snooping, since it seems the default doesn't allow wireless users to see, for example, Minecraft LAN game broadcasts.

Perhaps setting IGMP Snooping is just plain broken though since the wireless went to poo after a while when I set it on the AiMesh router, but Minecraft broadcast did work !!!!

As far as I can see there's several nvram settings for this, it would be much better for ASUSWRT to do this rather than me ....

I see, maybe you're lucky with telnet/SSH, you could try, dont know.
I can confirm that ssh into mesh node works. But setting nvram parameters directly using shell is whole another level of expertise.

No longer use AiMesh but when I did I would access the nodes UI by inputting the exact page URL.
Not sure if this still works but I would do it like this.
Say main was 192.168.1.1 and node was 192.168.1.15
Main router wireless page: http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp
Node Wireless page: http://192.168.1.15/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp
Just have to know full URL of the page you want.

Tried that before seeing this old post.

Any Page except for Main_Login.asp responds with
Code:
<HTML><HEAD><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=message.htm"></HEAD></HTML>

which in turn looks for <mesh node ip>/message.htm, which responds with a huge file with which shows "Detecting AiMesh router...", and a javascrip function with your main router IP, which in turn forwards to main router.

Code:
var cfg_master_ipaddr = decodeURIComponent('<your main router ip>');
        var cfg_alive = decodeURIComponent('1');
        var isAMeshRE = ('1' == '1') ? true : false;
        (function () {
            if (isAMeshRE) {
                if (cfg_alive == "1" && cfg_master_ipaddr != "") {
                    var s = document.createElement("script");
                    s.type = "text/javascript";
                    s.src = "http://" + cfg_master_ipaddr + "/chdom.json?hostname=" + cfg_master_ipaddr;
                    var h = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];
                    h.parentNode.insertBefore(s, h);
                }
                else
                    window.location.href = "/error_page.htm?flag=9";
            }
        })();
        var chdom = function () { window.location.href = "http://" + cfg_master_ipaddr; };
        function initial() {
            if (isAMeshRE) {
                setTimeout(function () {
                    window.location.href = "/error_page.htm?flag=9";
                }, 5000);
            }
        }

[CODE]

Hi, you can access the GUI of a mesh node by running in that node ssh session the command 'nvram set re_mode=0' before acesssing its login page. Remember never to run 'nvram commit' (this includes any action in GUI which could commit) with re_mode set to 0 since it is reported to cause problems. When you are finished just run 'nvram set re_mode=1' to return to a safe state.

Hi, you can access the GUI of a mesh node by running in that node ssh session the command 'nvram set re_mode=0' before acesssing its login page. Remember never to run 'nvram commit' (this includes any action in GUI which could commit) with re_mode set to 0 since it is reported to cause problems. When you are finished just run 'nvram set re_mode=1' to return to a safe state.
Thank you.. I can confirm this approach works superbly on my ac-86u running as mesh node.

PS> Using the UI I also noticed that ssh key actually gets copied over from main router to node too. SO you can use password free logins as long as you remember to pass the key from putty.

If there are specific ("Professional") settings that are not applied to the nodes, that seems like a bug that should be reported to Asus. I try not to mess with them too much to begin with, but I do expect them to apply to the whole network. What settings aren't propagating?

May I ask what'd cause a "nvram commit"? And if that happens, what problem would it possibly cause while re_mode is set to 0? I'm wondering if it's something disastrous.

I'm asking so coz I'm thinking of running adguard and skynet on the primary router, while running debian and plex on node (both XT8), so as to reduce primary router's workload. Not sure if this setup would work but I'm interested to give it a try. Most of the time I will use SSH tho. Will a reboot erase anything that's so installed on node?

May I ask what'd cause a "nvram commit"? And if that happens, what problem would it possibly cause while re_mode is set to 0? I'm wondering if it's something disastrous.

I'm asking so coz I'm thinking of running adguard and skynet on the primary router, while running debian and plex on node (both XT8), so as to reduce primary router's workload. Not sure if this setup would work but I'm interested to give it a try. Most of the time I will use SSH tho. Will a reboot erase anything that's so installed on node?

Hi, Almost changing any setting in the GUI that should survive a reboot will cause a 'NVRAM Commit' internally. This is because settings are stored in the NVRAM and the way to make sure they 'hold' (effectively written to NVRAM and not only as a RAM copy) is through the 'commit' command.
Now, the problems that will cause not having NVRAM in perfect sync between AIMESH main router and the nodes could potentially be many and only ASUS knows... In your case, running addons in the aimesh nodes 'safety' would depend on the addon itself, whether it makes use/implements NVRAM settings itself or not.

Hi, Almost changing any setting in the GUI that should survive a reboot will cause a 'NVRAM Commit' internally. This is because settings are stored in the NVRAM and the way to make sure they 'hold' (effectively written to NVRAM and not only as a RAM copy) is through the 'commit' command.
Now, the problems that will cause not having NVRAM in perfect sync between AIMESH main router and the nodes could potentially be many and only ASUS knows... In your case, running addons in the aimesh nodes 'safety' would depend on the addon itself, whether it makes use/implements NVRAM settings itself or not.

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I gave it a try. At first I couldn't access my node's webui unless re_mode was set to 0. At some point it suddenly allowed me to do so. Feeling weird, I found that my node just turned itself into a repeater. I'm not sure what triggered this but it seemed that plugging an USB into the node was the cause. Looks like that I dont have to worry about NVRAM sync...

I've read from other posts that the repeater mode should work just as good as a node (network speed/coverage etc) Is that right? Anything I should be wary of from this change?

Hello, today I noticed that unfortunately even removing the MAC filter at a certain time the XD6S disassociate from the network and no more reconnect back in 5G despite having a reception of -50db..-60db

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!