What's new

GUI "Reset WPS" actually clears NVRAM of the whole router??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

professordave

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

In the WPS tab of wireless, it appears that the button, reset, actually resets the router to factory defaults.

Is this true? Or am I missing something?

This is very confusing, and I think I have clicked on this at least twice, I did not set devices up with WPS very often, so I attempt to setup something with WPS, wipe my router, and then forget until later when I setup a device and click on it again.

The WPS button will wipe nvram only if you power the router on WHILE WPS is already pressed. Otherwise, it acts either as a WPS toggle switch, or a radio toggle switch (based on how you configure it on the System page).

The WPS button will wipe nvram only if you power the router on WHILE WPS is already pressed. Otherwise, it acts either as a WPS toggle switch, or a radio toggle switch (based on how you configure it on the System page).

Hello, thanks for responding so quickly.

Are we talking about the same thing.

In the screenshot I am talking about the button labeled "reset"

Clicking on this button seems to reset everything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 9.58.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 9.58.21 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 679
Hello, thanks for responding so quickly.

Are we talking about the same thing.

In the screenshot I am talking about the button labeled "reset"

Clicking on this button seems to reset everything.

This button is specific to the WPS functionality, it has nothing to do with nvram.

This button is specific to the WPS functionality, it has nothing to do with nvram.

Thanks, when I have time I will push that button again, just for curiosity, but I just finished re-entering the port forwarding rules and do not have the time right now to re-enter all the settings.

Basically I was attempting to join a printer to the network with wps, I was getting errors, and I pushed that button.

At which point the SID for the router changed as shown on my mac back to the default of asus and asus_5g.

As an aside, with any router I have owned I have never been able to join any device using wps.

Thanks, when I have time I will push that button again, just for curiosity, but I just finished re-entering the port forwarding rules and do not have the time right now to re-enter all the settings.

Basically I was attempting to join a printer to the network with wps, I was getting errors, and I pushed that button.

At which point the SID for the router changed as shown on my mac back to the default of asus and asus_5g.

As an aside, with any router I have owned I have never been able to join any device using wps.

I was able to do it once for a customer, connecting her new HP printer to her router. Otherwise, I've rarely had much luck with it as well. Seems like not everyone's implementation is fully compatible, and there's also the competing standard (AOSS) that is supported by some devices, like the PS3.

but I just finished re-entering the port forwarding rules and do not have the time right now to re-enter all the settings.
Save the router's settings to a file for importing after the pressing for easy restoring.

Save the router's settings to a file for importing after the pressing for easy restoring.

Okay this is humorous because it worked out, I clicked on save the configuration, then I clicked on the wps configuration reset button, then I noticed at the top of the browser was an alert asking me if I wanted to allow the website to save data.

So I thought that since I had not already agreed my router was wiped yet again and I would have to spend time re-creating port forwarding rules.

But the config file was saved. :)

=====

By the way, clicking on WPS reset
DOES RESET THE ROUTER TO DEFAULT! :(

Is there something physically wrong with the router that clicking on this button would reset the router?

By the way, clicking on WPS reset
DOES RESET THE ROUTER TO DEFAULT! :(

Is there something physically wrong with the router that clicking on this button would reset the router?

There is nothing in the code that would explain that.

Code:
reset_wps(void)
{
#ifdef CONFIG_BCMWL5

stop_wps_method();

stop_wps();

nvram_set("w_Setting", "0");
        restart_wireless_wps();
#endif
}

All it does is stop WPS, set an nvram var that tells the router to reset all wireless settings to factory defaults, and restart the wireless and wps services. So you do have to reconfigure your wireless, but the rest of the router is untouched. I just tested it myself here.

There is nothing in the code that would explain that.

Code:
reset_wps(void)
{
#ifdef CONFIG_BCMWL5

stop_wps_method();

stop_wps();

nvram_set("w_Setting", "0");
        restart_wireless_wps();
#endif
}

All it does is stop WPS, set an nvram var that tells the router to reset all wireless settings to factory defaults, and restart the wireless and wps services. So you do have to reconfigure your wireless, but the rest of the router is untouched. I just tested it myself here.

Does that include the ssid?

I click on that button from a computer that is connected wireless, not wired.

The Sid get reset, I then manually connect to the asus Sid and the router asked to set the new passwords for each frequency.

Does that include the ssid?

I click on that button from a computer that is connected wireless, not wired.

The Sid get reset, I then manually connect to the asus Sid and the router asked to set the new passwords for each frequency.

Thanks for looking at this so quickly.

I guess I was not expecting the wireless to be reset, panicked and reset the whole router and started over.

Maybe some extra text around the button.

I clicked on the button hoping to restart just wps to get that working with a wireless printer

Thanks for looking at this so quickly.

I guess I was not expecting the wireless to be reset, panicked and reset the whole router and started over.

Maybe some extra text around the button.

I clicked on the button hoping to restart just wps to get that working with a wireless printer

Yeah, I'm also surprised that this function resets everything related to the wireless. I'm not sure I understand the reason for this button to even exist on the WPS page. Do other routers/firmwares typically have a similar button, and what does it do in their cases?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!