What's new

Guide to ensuring my WIFI is setup correctly with merlins FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Hi. Anyone have a guide or tips for ensuring my 2.4 and 5.0ghz is set up to be optimal for my home network? I have a few "N" devices (mac/iphone/ipad) and 1 b/g (old windows laptop).

I want to make sure I set up the wireless settings to achieve the best speed and performance.

siku.jpg

xrhb.jpg

Last edited:
I would use a wireless client program like inSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer to find the clearest channel on 2.4GHz. band and use that, rather than "Auto". I also usually pick a control channel on 5GHz. band, one of the higher numbered set. Other than that, looks fine to me.

Of course, if you're using wireless-AC on 5GHz., I would assume that there's an 80MHz. channel width that you would use.

What high band channel should I use for 5GHZ?

Since there's generally not a lot of interference on 5GHz, it doesn't make as much difference. I only see one other 5GHz. wireless network here, and it is very low in strength at my house. I usually just pick the highest numbered channel listed, pretty arbitrary as far as I'm concerned at this point in time.

If you choose the highest channel it will interfere with a 5.8 GHz phone. Choose the 2nd to highest and it will be in the 5.7 GHz range and won't interfere. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate all the tips. Will definitely try them out.

As for phone, we only have cell phones, no home/cordless phones.