What's new

GVSP (meant to be UDP) packets being block_dropped or resent.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

el pescador

Problems on FIFA .Decided to stick wireshark on the case.
Game traffic shows these little blighters popping up sporadically and in greater numbers aftre the first minute or so of the game.
Also seen someone elses wireshark file who also had delay and his was worse than mine.
So question is...can any one help lol?
These are both up and down stream

What modem are you running? Is it a Puma 6 modem which delays UDP and causes UDP loss as well? Intel has released updates for Puma 6 modems, but, no company, from Intel to the modem manufacturers to the ISPs have provided any proof that those updates have successfully resolved the latency and loss situation. That proof would be in the form of latency plots for ICMP, TCI/IP, and UDP, and in any loss figures for those plots. Although Intel has released updates, its up to the ISPs to load those updates on their customers modems, and in some cases, customer owned modems aren't updated by the ISP, leaving them with their current problems.

Problem modem lists are found here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31134484-

https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Fwiw, to really determine if there is an issue, you would have to run continuous DNS IP address queries to your ISP DNS. Recorded with Wireshark, that would give you a transmit time and receive time that in theory should be fairly constant. That's easy to plot and you can determine the losses by using Wireshark to calculate the lost responses. Doing this ingame is probably not a great indication as there are three components to this to consider:

1. Any latency and losses due to the modem
2. Any latency and losses due to the ISP network
3. Any losses and latency beyond the borders of your ISP network.

You really need to run a long UDP test session to the ISP DNS to determine the losses in the modem and ISP network. Once you know that, you can look at the losses beyond the ISP border. Getting the ISP to do anything about the losses beyond their border is another matter altogether.

If you run grc's DNS Benchmark, that might give you a rough idea of what you're losses look like That's a very small test compared to running a 24 hour DNS test, but, its easy to load and run. I'd recommend adding your ISP DNS server IP addresses to see what the losses look like within the ISP boundary.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Here's a way to run a longer test in a Windows environment. Download DNS Monitor from the following Tallsoft site;

http://www.tallsoft.com/download.htm

Download the .exe file on the left or .zip file on the right. The central link is incorrect and downloads a ping monitor program.

DNS Monitor will run in a freebie mode, sending one DNS request to your desired DNS target every second. I think the limit is three targets for the unlicenced program. You can record the those transmitted requests and returns for as long as you want to, using Wireshark. After the data is recorded, save the recorded data to a file in case Wireshark crashes, and then post process the file to plot the results and loss numbers.

I'm sure that there must be an easier way to run a DNS query test using Linux, unfortunately, not a linux user :(

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.
I had already done the puma test and its not perfect.My router is an Arcadyan 2 in 1 (ONT + Router) from Orange espana.I have it in bridge mode and run an AC88U with Merlin on as the router. Also running the JRFresh QoS.

Ran 3 DNS servers on that last test and all 3 with zero loss.
When i checked the other day it was only GVSP packets which had an issue. Does this mean its somewhere outside of the ISP network further up the line?

Then you'll have to ask EA about it. But I suspect that it is just a false positive from the Wireshark filter.

I'm on to them but they never respond. Its odd though as i have to capture via a shared connection through the laptop. But gameplay seems better even with those dropped packets. Don't undersatnd why a laptop wifi hotspot could give responsive gameplay compared to ethernet?
Thanks anyway.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!