What's new

Gwifi, Velop or Router+AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mjeezys

New Around Here
Hey, I'm not the most finely tuned with networking so please bear with me;

I've recently moved into a new home with inbuilt ethernet wiring in most rooms, and one that is larger than our old home. It's also quite thickly insulated with many walls in the way of the wireless signals. I am having trouble getting constant signal at the far sides of the house from the router, which is currently a Netgear N600. The router is connected to the main desktop and several TV's through the ethernet wiring, which works fine, but the wireless signal gets very weak in the bedroom and we are having trouble connecting to it. I've been doing some research and have come up with three main solutions (considering our budget);

Google Wifi with ethernet backhaul
Linksys Velop with ethernet backhaul
A better main router with access points

I have a few questions about these:
1) for the two mesh systems, would this be an acceptable setup?
> = Ethernet, ) = Wireless
Netgear N600 > Main Mesh Point > Second Mesh Point in bedroom, ) to wireless devices
2) Would this run into issues with double NAT? I can't say I really understand what that is, but I've seen mentions of it and I don't want to invest in something if it won't work
3) if I use the mesh network, would that impact the other ethernet connected devices on the network? Would I have to run the Desktop/TVs through the mesh node, or could I connect it straight to the Netgear? Would it run on the same system?
4) Is there any functional difference between a ethernet backhaul mesh network and a router+AP combination? I feel like the router+AP is favoured on these forums but I can't say I'm technically knowledgable enough to know why.

Thank you very much, feel free to ask further questions because I'm not 100% sure I am making sense here.

If you have Ethernet where you want to place access points, a router + AP approach is the most cost-effective. Access Points aren't routers, so you don't have to worry about wireless and wired networks being separated.

Google Wi-Fi won't operate in bridge/AP mode. So it will put your wireless devices on a separate network from your router's.

With Linksys Velop, you are paying for an extra 5 GHz radio you probably don't need.

Yes, it's time to move up from the N600 router. A 3x3 AC1900 router like the NETGEAR R7000 or ASUS RT-AC68 will be fine. Check the Router Ranker.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!