What's new

Hacking a QNAP TS-209

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Craig Dunn

New Around Here
Hiya all,

I was given a TS-209 as a mate upgraded his, it looks a great NAS however I find it too noisy and as its so old getting apps and things to work on it is a bit of a nightmare.

I had an idea of replacing the board in the qnap for a NUC board or something else then just having Open Media Vault or FreeNAS on it. I think a Mini ITX board will fit in the case but, my biggest problem is height as most have a huge heatsink and fan I just dont think they will fit (without serious case mods)

Does anyone know of any boards that would fit? Its 7" x 8.4", I`m not opposed to development boards my only issue being I havnt found any with dual SATA ports, my mine concern is noise more than anything i`d like it as quiet as possible so maybe a fanless board and install a case fan?

any thoughts or opinions would be helpfull

Thanks

I have already tried a different fan but the noise seems to be coming from the mainboard itself so im suspecting its capacitor whine.

a more stable PSU or capacitors can reduce coil wine. The term is actually coil wine not capacitor wine. Its not the capacitors that create the noise but coils.

It's probably the PSU - since the mainboard is based on a 500Mhz Marvell ARM chipset, most of the high current impact on coil noise would be in the PSU itself, not on the board... probably on the 5V bus as that's where the main current hit is going to be for the HDD motors (5V on most molex connectors will be the red wire, 12v is the yellow, and grounds on the black...)

It's probably the PSU - since the mainboard is based on a 500Mhz Marvell ARM chipset, most of the high current impact on coil noise would be in the PSU itself, not on the board... probably on the 5V bus as that's where the main current hit is going to be for the HDD motors (5V on most molex connectors will be the red wire, 12v is the yellow, and grounds on the black...)

Hold on - had to double check - it's an external power cube, so the noise is probably the big coil on the 12VDC line if the board pic is correct - see below...

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 3.46.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 3.47.53 PM.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!