What's new

Handover between router and accespoint

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raphie

i’m running a RT-AC5300 router downstairs with a RT-AC66u in bridgemode in the attic
Both have 5gh configured in 80mhz AC only and run great.
Throughput is 200Mbps on both running Merlin 380.68-4

The 5300 has the 2 5gh channels combined. The 5300 and 66 have different ssids.
The “problem” I’m facing is that roaming doesn’t work flawless, often when going upstairs the client sticks to the 5300 wifi, even with barely no signal
When you switch manually to the 66 everything runs great. Sometimes roaming works after 30secs sometimes 5mins, sometimes not at all. Manual switching always works instantly.
The same behaviour happens the other way around, going downstairs. Even with the most fragmented signal it hangs on to the 66.

I do realise this is a “1st world problem” but I would just like this to work more CONSISTENT and FASTER than manual switching.
We’re talking all AC apple devices here, ipads, iphones, MBP, so nothing to be tweaked on the client side
To be clear this has nothing to do with throughput or clients dropping of or 5gh bands dissapearing. Manually it all works great, I just want flawless roaming as well. Any suggestions?

You should also give a look/try on the Roaming Assistant settings on the Wireless/Professional page - of course you need to measure the signal strength to set the correct values. ;)

In my case it helped a lot to have smooth handover on 2.4 GHz (with 2 SSIDs) and 5 GHz (with same SSID). :cool: