What's new

happy now - sold all Asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisu

Part of the Furniture
After 5 years troubleshouting with many firmware bugs I sold all my routers.
There has never been any hardware issue for me, but as time goes by more and more firmware problems.
Most of them introduced with new releases and never solved.

2x DSL-AC68U
4x RT-AC68U/W
2x RT-AC86U

Now they are all gone and sold for good prices.

Most helpful users and postings here has been blocked, canceled or censored and I am not welcome too (even blocked for PMs).
Enough is enough.

Time to leave this fanboy forum and say good-bye!

Asus will never see me again (for my own equipment), at least for the next 10 years ...

Last edited:
Grisu, I wish you all the best. But very surprised by this post?

Sorry but dont want advertise here any other brand in this forum as it will be disliked.
I use European brand now (are there more than one? you can search for 7590) and fully satisfied for my purposes and needs.
For sure many here have other reasons like multi-VPN and/or security paranoia or custom scripts to stick with Asus and like to spend their time fixing things.
I want a router to run trusty without thinking about for the next year.

People don’t just quit SNBForums. People post long drawn-out messages on SNBForums, explaining why they’re leaving SNBForums.

I feel like ASUS do have QC issues and every firmware update is a roll of the dice. They become a high maintenance router only when you choose to install all the latest greatest firmware releases with experimental features. You’re choosing to be a Guinea pig. If you did what most owners do and never upgrade, only run the well-tested stock firmware it originally shipped with, then it should perform as desired without maintenance or troubleshooting.

There’s a lot to love about ASUS routers and almost all of it is due to this community. If Merlin stopped and SNBForums community went away, no more diversion or skynet, then I’d be buying something else to play with, like maybe a ubiquity edgerouter.

Looking at price tags in my local store I also reckon ASUS gaming routers are getting way too damn expensive. It’s reached the point where for similar price I could start to buy business-grade network hardware with all the fully fledged features you could dream of.

Last edited:
I feel like ASUS do have QC issues and every firmware update is a roll of the dice. They become a high maintenance router only when you choose to install all the latest greatest firmware releases with experimental features. You’re choosing to be a Guinea pig. If you did what most owners do and never upgrade, only run the well-tested stock firmware it originally shipped with, then it should perform as desired without maintenance or troubleshooting.

There’s a lot to love about ASUS routers and almost all of it is due to this community. If Merlin stopped and SNBForums community went away, no more diversion or skynet, then I’d be buying something else to play with, like maybe a ubiquity edgerouter.

Looking at price tags in my local store I also reckon ASUS gaming routers are getting way too damn expensive. It’s reached the point where for similar price I could start to buy business-grade network hardware with all the fully fledged features you could dream of.

I really like/love asus routers, for the same reason you give, i get updates all of the time. Other companies (apple) would have long stopped supporting there 2 year old routers, but Asus just a year or so ago stopped updating the AC66U. I used to have a 66U now i bought there latest greatest one, RT-AX88U.

Time to leave this fanboy forum and say good-bye!

This is not a "fanboy forum". Product users are here giving help and getting help from fellow product users.

OE

Actually, Apple released a firmware with AirPlay 2 support for its discontinued AirPort Express...

Yep, and that build kinda works...

Airport's were (and are) for the most part pretty solid - less bugs, less updates...

I'm always surprised and not surprised by these kinds of threads because while my own experience has generally been very positive, its easy to see in the forums that some people are definitely having continual problems. I now have 1x AC68U and 3x AC86U spread across three locations, and so far I've been able to make them do what I want. Some things like the network map have always been broken, and I have no expectation for these features. Perhaps I've been lucky too that I haven't had a need to try to use any overly buggy features of the ASUS FW. I have not and will likely never try AiMesh unless ASUS works some serious magic on it.

Most helpful users and postings here has been blocked, canceled or censored and I am not welcome too (even blocked for PMs).
Enough is enough.

Aha, the real reason for your post and whining .....

Reality is you have for a long time very deliberately continued to break the forum rules regarding content that it is forbidden to discuss here , why are you surprised the staff stopped you using private messages?

Childish behaviour usually results in sanctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.