What's new

hard reset with TPG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I use an Asus rt ac 88 u and my IP is TPG who use pppoe
Every time I do a hard reset ( about every other month) I have to pull out an old mac laptop due to our current table not having an ethernet outlet as the setup wizard can't enter the username and password needed for TPG connection.Is there a way around this or should I hang on to the old old apple ?

You can get a USB-Ethernet adapter. However, it is always good to have a PC on hand. Many applications are only available or only work sufficiently well on PC, be it Windows/Mac OSX/Linux.

I have to pull out an old mac laptop due to our current table not having an ethernet outlet as the setup wizard can't enter the username and password needed for TPG connection.
I don't understand the issue. Maybe because I have different routers, but why can't you configure your router using WiFi instead of wired ethernet?

I don't understand the issue. Maybe because I have different routers, but why can't you configure your router using WiFi instead of wired ethernet?
I can't get to the login page over WiFi because during the initial setup it can't get internet access due to the need to use a username and password before I can access TPGs feed . TPG use vlan2 and a username and password unlike my previous IP ,Optus all I needed for them was the SSID and because I don't have internet access yet I can't get to the homepage over WiFi to change the vlan to 2 and enter the username and password

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no clue what TPG is, but still, if your router is local and your laptop is local, what does "internet access" have to do with logging into the router? You should be able to do that from any browser on any system.

Sorry, I have no clue what TPG is, but still, if your router is local and your laptop is local, what does "internet access" have to do with logging into the router? You should be able to do that from any browser on any system.
TPG is my internet provider .When you do a hard reset you need to have internet access to login to the homepage or am I incorrect? sorry I may not be explaining my issue very well.When you use the setup wizard it will usually find your internet connection and connect you.With TPG you need a username and password before you get internet access.You also need to set the vlan to 2 and prio to 0 the setup wizard can not enter the username and password for you.it needs to be done manually

Last edited:
Why are you doing a factory reset monthly ? On what, the modem or the router ?

You should only have to power off for 10-15 minutes, power on, and wait for the modem to resync.
If you are reseting the router, just do a power cycle. Dont factory reset. No need.

That way you would not loose the config in the router.

If you need to access the configuration, just plug in to a lan port on the router and go to the default web page and login.

You don’t need internet access to configure the router/modem ppoe connection entries.

If you need to access the configuration, just plug in to a lan port on the router and go to the default web page and login.
The part I do understand about his potential issue is that he wants to do this via wireless as he does not have an ethernet port on his tablet (unless he buys a USB dongle). Agreed though that the reset every 2 months should not be necessary.

TPG is my internet provider
That much I understand. Í dont see why though, if you really are forced to reset the configuration, why you can't manually connect to wifi after the reset and enter your configuration information.

Ok, so the "setup wizard" is some utility from TPG that configures your Asus router? If that is the case, I am pretty confident that their support people or web site would be able to give you the information to manually perform the same task, which I see no reason stopping you from doing on your tablet via wifi.

When you do a hard reset you need to have internet access to login to the homepage or am I incorrect?
if your internet provider requires you to have internet access before you can connect to them, I'd get a new internet provider. Lol

By homepage, I assume you are talking about TPGs website. So, this "setup wizard" is something on that page? If so, it seems really bizarre.

if your internet provider requires you to have internet access before you can connect to them, I'd get a new internet provider. Lol

By homepage, I assume you are talking about TPGs website. So, this "setup wizard" is something on that page? If so, it seems really bizarre.
Firstly the setup wizard I am taking about is the Asus setup wizard not TPGs .Secondly when you first start with TPG you get a router (tp1600] from them and during the setup process,the very first setup process, they push through the settings to your router but the TP is a piece of junk so if you want to use your own router the problem of setting it up is yours to research and implement . Which really is not a problem it just needs to be set to pppoe,vlan 2 and enter your username and password.Perhaps I am confusing you guys by the term,,setup wizard,, all I mean by that is allowing the Asus router to find access to your IP during the setup process rather than doing it manually.I apologize for any confusion caused by my terminology.Tp link call it their setup wizard so that is where I am getting the term from

Based on your latest post, you should not have any issues configuring via wifi.

If you reset your router, connect (to the router) using your tablet via wifi and enter the information provided by your ISP (username, password, etc). You don't have to use the setup wizard in the router, you can manually enter the information.

Your router doesn't "find" an IP during setup, you are configuring it to "request" an IP (or assign a manual one). This request happens on every restart.

I can't get to the login page over WiFi because during the initial setup it can't get internet access due to the need to use a username and password before
You don't need internet access to get to the router configuration page. 1 router and one client system, either wired or wireless, is all you need to configure the router.

Then what am I doing wrong.When I do a reset and try to access the router configuration page over Wi-Fi it says can't connect no internet, ?
I thought you had to a) be on either 2or 5g of the router on your table or PC and b) have internet access to logon

If you are using DHCP, then you should be able to access the router GUI using router.asus.com in your browser.

If you are not using DHCP, then you need to ensure you assign your tablet an IP address in the same subnet as the default IP for your router. There are a number of variables in this case, so rather than get into it, find out if you are using DHCP or not first.

I thought you had to a) be on either 2or 5g of the router on your table or PC and b) have internet access to logon

Yes, you need to connect your client device (tablet, PC, whatever) to your router. This can be wifi or wired. On wifi, you need to connect to the default SSID. This is all covered in the Quick Setup Guide for your router.

No, you don't need internet access to configure the router. The router is what *gives* you internet access.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to connect your client device (tablet, PC, whatever) to your router. This can be wifi or wired.

No, you don't need internet access to configure the router. The router is what *gives* you internet access.
Ok I am using DHCP

Type router.asus.com into your browser.