What's new

Hardware acceleration for AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xrsenal

Can someone list all of the hardware accelerations in this router?

so far I know Runner, Flow Cache and Spanning Tree Protocol

Runner and Flow Cache, that's it. Spanning Tree Protocol is not hardware acceleration.

Anyone know how spanning tree can be beneficial in a FiOS network? I’ve got moca adapter in my loop….

I would say VZ/Fios makes extensive use of Spanning Tree in "their" internal, complex network (more likely Rapid Spanning Tree). In your home network, unless you have multiple switches with redundant links (or accidentally create a redundant link aka loop) there is little benefit to STP. It likely doesn't hurt, but it takes some small processing time and sends small packets every few seconds - so one could say it is not a benefit.

You do mention "loop". When using this term with a network it does warrent looking at STP. Can you give more detail on this?

Is there some reason it's not just Ethernet from the ONT to one router, and everything else connected through that?

I wasn't asking if it was to the router. I was asking why is there more than one router.

Precisely. That's why I'm wondering why you wrote: ONT-ROUTER Then cable from wall to moca - router

That looks like this:

[ONT]------[Router]------[[cable from wall]------[MoCA]------[Router]

That's two routers.

Precisely. That's why I'm wondering why you wrote: ONT-ROUTER Then cable from wall to moca - router

That looks like this:

[ONT]------[Router]------[[cable from wall]------[MoCA]------[Router]

That's two routers.
MOCA IS NOT A ROUTER.

THE ONT HAS 2 connections. 1 brings internet aka RJ45.

the other brings TV AKA CABLE.

THE CABLE WIRE GOES INTO THE MOCA Adapter.

The internet wire goes into the internet port in the router

I think it depends on how VZ provisions the ONT. For Internet it can be ethernet/RJ45 or Coax. Not both.
For TV, it's coax going to their STB. TV is never carried over RJ45

For both TV and Internet it's one of these:
If Router is going to be coax connected to ONT, a splitter is used - one output to Router the other to STB. VZ provisions Internet to coax connector (ONTs RJ45 is disabled)

. If Router is RJ45 connected, ONT RJ45 to Router and Coax to STB. VZ provisions Internet to RJ45

From what I have read, if TV/Coax, it is on a completely different subnet/network from Internet.

Long story short, I don't think you have setup a loop. Believe me, if you did you would know - your devices connected to the Internet would slow down dramatically. The network is being flooded with redundant packets. This is where Spanning Tree attempts to turn off ports on the network devices (other switches typically) that are the source of the loop.
Also, for Spanning Tree to work you need it enabled on all switches and routers.

You can enable it on the Asus router - but unless you have other routers and switches on your network (with Spanning Tree enabled) it really has nothing to do.

MOCA IS NOT A ROUTER.

THE ONT HAS 2 connections. 1 brings internet aka RJ45.

the other brings TV AKA CABLE.

THE CABLE WIRE GOES INTO THE MOCA Adapter.

The internet wire goes into the internet port in the router
Nobody is confusing MoCA with a router. The only confusion is how a router can be simultaneously connected to a MoCA device and the ONT. The only other alternative is that there are two routers.

The question was, and still is, why two routers on the network? Given your description of an ONT with both coax and Ethernet enabled, that leaves something like this:

Code:
          -------- [ MoCA ] ------- [ Router ]
         /
        /
[ ONT ]
        \
         \--------[ Router ]

Is that accurate?

Is that accurate?
nо, example GPON:
Code:
                                                                  DUAL WAN  Asus AX88U when ONT in bridge
                                                                 /
                                                      1-4 x RJ45  - STB IP-TV
   ISP                                       user     /                                                                                 
[ OLT ]-------[fiber cable from wall]-------[ ONT ]  -- Phone (maybe CATV)
                                         bridge/routing

example gpon ont ZTE F668 http://www.ztegpon.cz/pdf/ZXHN_F668_Product_Introduction.pdf

457567567567567657.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody is confusing MoCA with a router. The only confusion is how a router can be simultaneously connected to a MoCA device and the ONT. The only other alternative is that there are two routers.

The question was, and still is, why two routers on the network? Given your description of an ONT with both coax and Ethernet enabled, that leaves something like this:

Code:
          -------- [ MoCA ] ------- [ Router ]
         /
        /
[ ONT ]
        \
         \--------[ Router ]

Is that accurate?
Here's a typical verizon FIOS setup.

- both ethernet and coax cables connects to verizon router from the Ont for internet and tv.

| Through ethernet/wireless----->internet clients
Ont----->Verizon router/MOCA/wireless----->|
|Through Coax/wireless---->STB

OP added Asus router either before or after the Verizon Router/MOCA

Update: Sorry for the formatting, I tried to correct it but I can't but anyway both the ethernet/wireless and STB connects after the router.

Last edited:
Unless they've changed something, the ONT doesn't do routing. I've had FiOS for the past 11 years and the ONT is just a "dumb" device that translates fiber signal to coax and/or Ethernet. Frontier Internet (which licenses FiOS in some areas) will try desperately to convince you that you need their router for it to work, but that's false. They're just lying so the FCC will allow them to force you to rent their unnecessary router for an extra $10 a month. The Ethernet from the ONT can go straight into your Asus. That's been my setup for over a decade.

Code:
Fiber in --------> [ ONT ] ----------> [Asus]

If you have FiOS TV things are different. Last I knew you had to run coax from the ONT to their router, which you could then run in bridge mode to connect your Asus router.

Code:
Fiber in ----------> [ ONT ] ----------> [ ISP router] \----------> [Asus]
                                                        \
                                                         \---------> [CATV]

Unless they've changed something, the ONT doesn't do routing. I've had FiOS for the past 11 years and the ONT is just a "dumb" device that translates fiber signal to coax and/or Ethernet. Frontier Internet (which licenses FiOS in some areas) will try desperately to convince you that you need their router for it to work, but that's false. They're just lying so the FCC will allow them to force you to rent their unnecessary router for an extra $10 a month. The Ethernet from the ONT can go straight into your Asus. That's been my setup for over a decade.

Code:

If you have FiOS TV things are different. Last I knew you had to run coax from the ONT to their router, which you could then run in bridge mode to connect your Asus router.

Code:
                                                        \
                                                         \---------> [CATV]
Exactly right. The ONT is just a conversion point for the fiber signal. It has 2 singles. 1 RJ45 for internet, 1 coax for TV.

Coax is just for TV.
the Ethernet is just for internet.
That make sense? Anyway I can optimize this setup? Let me know!

Code:

Code:
                                                        \
                                                         \---------> [CATV]
You can actually get rid of the Fios router ; don’t even need it w the moca adapter