What's new

Hardware Acceleration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RCobb1

New Around Here
Hello,

I've been a user of RMerlin's roms since the day I got my RT-AC66U. I'm currently running in "AP Mode". Since updating to the latest stable 3.0.0.4.374.35_4, I've noticed a slow-down in wireless speeds on all hardware that uses it (a couple of kindles, 3 Android cells, 3 laptops, my refigerator (yes, it has a built in display with apps), and a few multi-media devices. So, i started digging in the router settings and noticed that it says hardware acceleration is disabled, incompatible with QoS. Um, I don't recall ever setting up QoS, nor can I even find a location within all of the admin web pages to even enable or disable it. Is this normal for AP Mode operation? Shouldn't AP Mode allow hardware acceleration if QoS was never enabled?

Any help pointing me to where QoS may be enabled would help a great deal!

Thanks in advance!

hardware acceleration and qos is only used during NAT. you're lowered rates means it's working as intended, but is supposed to be temporary while Asus is working on things. A fix for this is to download the sdk5 version of the same firmware, if i understand correctly.

hardware acceleration and qos is only used during NAT. you're lowered rates means it's working as intended, but is supposed to be temporary while Asus is working on things. A fix for this is to download the sdk5 version of the same firmware, if i understand correctly.

Where might I find an sdk5 version? Looking at RMerlin's MediaFire page, I only see builds I have seen before (plus the new Winter Knight beta). Is there a different site where the sdk5 images are shared?

damn, that's for the n66 series, sorry. you'll have to poke around here to see which firmware will give the best wifi, until somebody comes by

Hello,

I've been a user of RMerlin's roms since the day I got my RT-AC66U. I'm currently running in "AP Mode". Since updating to the latest stable 3.0.0.4.374.35_4, I've noticed a slow-down in wireless speeds on all hardware that uses it (a couple of kindles, 3 Android cells, 3 laptops, my refigerator (yes, it has a built in display with apps), and a few multi-media devices. So, i started digging in the router settings and noticed that it says hardware acceleration is disabled, incompatible with QoS. Um, I don't recall ever setting up QoS, nor can I even find a location within all of the admin web pages to even enable or disable it. Is this normal for AP Mode operation? Shouldn't AP Mode allow hardware acceleration if QoS was never enabled?

Any help pointing me to where QoS may be enabled would help a great deal!

Thanks in advance!

Chances are you enabled QoS while you were in Router mode, and didn't disable it before switching to AP mode, so it stayed enabled.

To manually disable it, run the following commands on the Tools -> Run Cmd page (one at a time):

Code:
nvram set qos_enable=0
nvram commit
reboot

Note however that I doubt HW acceleration will do much in AP mode - AFAIK it's only really used while in Router mode. But having QoS enabled might still have an unexpected impact on your performance.

...Note however that I doubt HW acceleration will do much in AP mode - AFAIK it's only really used while in Router mode. But having QoS enabled might still have an unexpected impact on your performance.

Sweet! Thank you! That did indeed help. I checked by firing up an on-line game with network latency checks and it went from "you have a really crappy connection" to "Schwinggg!"

Oddly, I don't ever remember setting QoS... but, I'm old and forgetful.

Regardless, thank you again and keep up the fantastic work!