What's new

Hardware Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cjw76

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to identify the best new network setup based on a number of changes and demands now needed at home and home-based business. The problems have included wifi mesh dropping out, broadband dropping, Sky Q having continuous problems, passed from pillar to post with all suppliers (Sky saying my tv problems will be solved if I take their BB, BT saying Sky is the issue, take BTTV instead etc)

Current h/w Vigor 130 modem, connected to Asus AX88U and AiMesh with Asus Zen4 nodes.

Have a house with a large number of devices (60-100, phones, tablets, laptops and IoT devices) so this rules out most ISP provided hardware, plus in a rural location so FTTC is the only option, with d/l speeds of 30mbps.

I have tested a 5G router with an external antenna which will give better speeds, but not confident enough that the signal will strong enough at all times (plus Sky engineer 5G mobile BB doesn't work well with Sky Q) so looking to go for dual wan, then a reliable Mesh solution.

Has anyone got anything similar or experience to suggest any reliable hardware to meet the challenges?

No one knows what is going to work well in an unknown location with unknown building configuration and built from unknown materials. If you have not enough knowledge to solve the problem yourself - call a local computer/networking company and tell them what do you want. When they come show them what they have to deal with. I personally would ditch all home "mesh" marketing devices and install the number of needed business class access points. Low cost options are TP-Link Omada and Ubiquiti UniFi systems, Cisco/Zyxel APs are available at affordable price, DrayTek APs are available in the UK. With your many devices you have to make a decision what do you want - play with home "mesh" forever of build it once properly with future expansion options. Router/firewall with VLAN support, PoE switch for your wired devices (with number of ports as needed), PoE access points for your Wi-Fi devices (ceiling, wall plate, outdoor as needed, wired or wireless), PoE cameras on separate VLAN (existing or future), IoT on separate VLAN (existing or future), etc.

Since you are on mostly Asus/Netgear users forum mostly home routers suggestions will come your way. Ready to play?

No one knows what is going to work well in an unknown location with unknown building configuration and built from unknown materials. If you have not enough knowledge to solve the problem yourself - call a local computer/networking company and tell them what do you want. When they come show them what they have to deal with. I personally would ditch all home "mesh" marketing devices and install the number of needed business class access points. Low cost options are TP-Link Omada and Ubiquiti UniFi systems, Cisco/Zyxel APs are available at affordable price, DrayTek APs are available in the UK. With your many devices you have to make a decision what do you want - play with home "mesh" forever of build it once properly with future expansion options. Router/firewall with VLAN support, PoE switch for your wired devices (with number of ports as needed), PoE access points for your Wi-Fi devices (ceiling, wall plate, outdoor as needed, wired or wireless), PoE cameras on separate VLAN (existing or future), IoT on separate VLAN (existing or future), etc.

Since you are on mostly Asus/Netgear users forum mostly home routers suggestions will come your way. Ready to play?
...I don't have the knowledge myself, which is why I came here as I thought I might find some help. Will start with removing the mesh and take a look at the AP options.

Thanks

you will need to be able to run CAT6 or CAT5e ethernet cable to the locations where you want to put APs back to a central location for the router and switch. While doing those runs, i would hardwire ethernet to devices that do not need to use wireless. Some may be able to branch off the location of the ethernet run to the AP with a small switch.

If you already have unused coax to most of the locations, you should look at MOCA2 or 2.5 modems to extend the ethernet instead.

Wireless AP options are available as well. If stability over speed is a priority cheap and good quality Qualcomm hardware EAP225/245 APs (available in all ceiling, wall plate and outdoor form) can work wired with PoE switch, wireless with PoE injector (some have AC adapter option) and in a mix of wired/wireless. Controller is needed for wireless, but also not expensive. I'm not familiar with the UK market - just giving an example for something with good price/performance in small business product range. Wi-Fi 6 cheaper APs are EAP610/620 also with wireless mesh support. Similar low cost AP is Ubiquiti U6 Lite, wireless mesh available.

For Internet gateway this little thingy (thanks @sfx2000) looks awesome for under $100:

OpenWrt based firmware, WAN + USB backup, VPN Server/Client + WireGuard, AdGuard Home built-in... and cheaper than Raspberry Pi.