What's new

Has anyone successfully create a VLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coldheat

New Around Here
I've got an asus RT5300 router currently. About to install -Merlin on it but only after I can confirm someone here has actually got VLAN to work... before I go out and buy one of those pfsense boxes. I only see like 2-3 tutorials via google search with no confirmed actions. Damn, wish this was just a feature already.

buy one of those pfsense boxes.
If you have a PC laying around you can just convert it to a router w/ the OS. For that matter you could just use Linux and make a few configuration changes to enable routing.

I wouldn't rely on consumer gear to do much more than the basics and even then some models have a struggle hitting 1gbps on a 1gbps port.

I bought an ubiquiti mini managed switch but I can't use it because the stock Asus firmware does not support vlan's... at least the guys on reddit were telling me that. Is that accurate? I do not have hardware laying around, would rather buy the nice aio's they offer for $300'ish.

So back to the question, has anyone actually gotten VLANs to work without hiccups? I see some threads about tagging the 5ghz in scripts but not official how-to guide or step by steps

Last edited:
You read correctly on reddit, so no.

On RT5300 I do not know.
But on AX88U is working as a separate bridge. You can put in a new bridge LAN or Wi-Fi.

Yea I'm about to buy a dream machine pro and get this over with! I have old routers but they are not 1gb ports.

Go full Ubiquiti with all VLAN capable components from the firewall to the access points. Do it once right. UniFi and Omada systems in basic configuration come close to expensive home routers, but work better and offer more configuration and expansion options. You won't go wrong with either.

I can't speak for your particular flavor of ASUS, but I've got tagged vlans including multi-tagged trunk ports running on my dual gt-ax6000s for sandboxing my IoT crap, and multiple ASUS routers do support vlans as they are used to extend the first guest wifi to AiMesh nodes. I have no idea why there are those who say ASUS stock firmware does not support vlans. The next generation of stock firmware will even have vlan configuration built into the GUI. For now below is how I do it via CLI.

Code:
#create a trunk port on eth1
/usr/sbin/ip link add link eth1 name eth1.102 type vlan id 102
/usr/sbin/ip link set eth1.102 up
/bin/brctl addbr br2
/bin/brctl addif br2 eth1.102
/usr/sbin/ip link add link eth1 name eth1.86 type vlan id 86
/usr/sbin/ip link set eth1.86 up
/bin/brctl addif br0 eth1.86

For those running a RT-AX86U Pro or GT-AX11000 Pro with stock firmware, does this VLAN tab appear for you? I'm running Merlin on my RT-AX86U Pro and don't have this menu. I should have looked before flashing. Does anyone know if @RMerlin is planning on adding VLANs for the RT-AX86U Pro or GT-AX11000 Pro firmware?

1675528534737.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know if @RMerlin is planning on adding VLANs for the RT-AX86U Pro or GT-AX11000 Pro firmware?

If Asus includes it in any the GPL blobs that they send to Merlin, then it will get implemented.

It is nice to see that Asus is finally moving into the 21st century. I highly doubt you see it come to any of the AC models now.

I've got an asus RT5300 router currently. About to install -Merlin on it but only after I can confirm someone here has actually got VLAN to work... before I go out and buy one of those pfsense boxes. I only see like 2-3 tutorials via google search with no confirmed actions. Damn, wish this was just a feature already.

I have VLANs running on RT-AC1900 via script, not sure if the 5300 is the same architecture or not. Others have gotten it working on the HND architecture but it is a bit more involved.

I also have a RT-AX86U Pro and I am missing the VLAN tab as well under my LAN area. The article from Asus that mentions the VLAN tab is https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1049415. In fact the article even mentions the RT-AX86U Pro as a supported model. I have opened a case with Asus support. My ticket was escalated with Asus support. But I have not heard anything back so far. I am also running the latest firmware of 3.0.0.4.388.22525.

I am also running the latest firmware of 3.0.0.4.388.22525.

VLANs are not available in this firmware. The firmware with Pro features is currently in Beta stage:

The official release won't happen any time soon. You can try the Beta now or wait for the official release when ready.

There is a Beta Pro firmware for it:

1685320007246.png

It will get Pro firmware unless Asus changes their mind before the official release.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!