What's new

Have to reboot my RT-N66U several times a day now

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clayg

New Around Here
I have an RT-N66U router connected to an ARRIS CM8200 cable modem. I'm running the latest Asus firmware on the N66U. It's been a great router but I've increasingly had to reboot the router because it Internet traffic stops flowing. This is true for both wired connections (my PC) and all wireless connections.

The system log doesn't really give a clue as to a problem. And I'm always able to access the router's web interface when this happens, but WAN traffic is dead (which includes any attempt to use the ping tool embedded in the router for testing).

I'm thinking the electronics have finally baked to the point of being flaky. Has anyone run into this before?

P.S. I'm not using any of the extra apps. It's strictly operating as a wired/wireless router with its firewall turned on.

The power supply may be getting 'weak'. If it's about 2 years old, it seems that the failure rate starts accelerating around that time.

Thank you John! I ordered a new power supply and put it in place on Monday. I've only had one incident since (vs 4 or 5 a day), so my issue is either dramatically improved or potentially resolved.

Thank you John! I ordered a new power supply and put it in place on Monday. I've only had one incident since (vs 4 or 5 a day), so my issue is either dramatically improved or potentially resolved.
Great that you reduced the incidence of problems but that you have even one in a 4-5 day period makes me think that your firmware configuration may have a problem getting its DHCP address from the modem. Have you reset the modem to factory defaults? My 66U has run for 4-5 years 24/7 with no problems except occasionally when the ISP does something weird. Original PS too. Reset it to factory default settings and then change only what is absolutely necessary for your network/ISP. Do not restore the old configuration settings!

Thanks. I did decide to reboot my cable modem when the one incident happened a few days ago. No issues since! So I think I'm all good now.

Thanks. I did decide to reboot my cable modem when the one incident happened a few days ago. No issues since! So I think I'm all good now.

Sorry, I mis-spoke...I meant to say router in my prior post. But I was also thinking of the modem as well...they can get flakey too or the cable provider can make some changes that don't play well. If you see any more of it, try the router reset to factory defaults as I suggested above.