What's new

Having issues with QOS RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So I have a few questions about QOS on this AC3100 router. I have TWC and I have the max speeds that TWC offers which are 300 down and 20 up.

Now if I use Adaptive QOS, my speeds are fine they are shown in the first picture.

If I use Traditional QOS my speeds are very low and you will see this in the second picture.

Is there a way to correct this or this is how it is? I am on ASUS FW 9.0.0.4.380_2697.

After I upgraded to this FW I did reset router.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160328_054408.jpg
    20160328_054408.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 838
  • 20160328_053843.jpg
    20160328_053843.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:
When configuring Traditional QOS, make sure you enter the up/down values as bits, not bytes (i.e. 300 Mbps, not 30 MBytes).

When configuring Traditional QOS, make sure you enter the up/down values as bits, not bytes (i.e. 300 Mbps, not 30 MBytes).

Thanks for the reply Merlin.

But I did do that, like in the first picture I inputted the up and down results.

356.58 down 23.82 up

20160328_112406.jpg

Last edited:
Also to add Merlin even if I just add 300 down and 20 up, same results??

Could be a bug, as you are running a beta firmware (versions 9.0.x.x are all betas). Try the latest non-beta release.

Could be a bug, as you are running a beta firmware (versions 9.0.x.x are all betas). Try the latest non-beta release.

Yeah going to try yours tomorrow.

You are right Merlin bug in the new beta. I updated the fw with yours and it works fine. thank you for your advice.

20160329_100948.jpg

Merlin I have mentioned this before, and I'm sure you have seen me say it "Traditional QoS" has been broken, on every Asus release I have used to date, official, or beta build's. You can set the bandwidth limits, but as soon as you give any device a priority, download speed's for me drop to the 16-18mbps max range. However the upload speed's would work correctly. So I don't know what exactly is broken in the Asus build's, but once a priority is given to a device with "Traditional QoS" enabled, download caps stop working correctly.

Merlin I have mentioned this before, and I'm sure you have seen me say it "Traditional QoS" has been broken, on every Asus release I have used to date, official, or beta build's. You can set the bandwidth limits, but as soon as you give any device a priority, download speed's for me drop to the 16-18mbps max range. However the upload speed's would work correctly. So I don't know what exactly is broken in the Asus build's, but once a priority is given to a device with "Traditional QoS" enabled, download caps stop working correctly.

<shrug> No idea, I haven't used Traditional QoS in years personally. Adaptive QoS is far more easy to deal with IMHO. If you have a basic test scenario for Asus to reproduce it, try sending a PM to @vanic about it.

Hi all,
Traditional qos can't work normally in BRCM platform, I have no time to investigate what happened, actually, as Merlin mention, I think adaptive qos and bandwidth limiter are more useful for end-users.

Thanks,
Vanic

Hi all,
Traditional qos can't work normally in BRCM platform, I have no time to investigate what happened, actually, as Merlin mention, I think adaptive qos and bandwidth limiter are more useful for end-users.

Thanks,
Vanic
So is the plan to then remove this option in a future firmware? Doesn't matter to much to me, I just think if it doesn't work.. It shouldn't be an option to use, and so it should be removed in a future release. One other thing, with the Bandwidth Limiter, would it be possible to add a option, where you could just set an overall download, and upload limit for all lan devices? It's nice to be able to do things on a per device bases, but also would be cool, if you could limit the overall bandwidth for the entire lan.

I suspect the issue isn't with the QoS code itself, but something else in the firmware. I've been experimenting lately with a different QoS implementation based on fq_codel and IFB, and was having the exact same type of issues (my downstream was limited to around 10 Mbps instead of 30, and upstream was also rather unstable, varying between 4 and 7 Mbps instead of 10 Mbps).

I've seen at least one kernel change in recent SDK7114 releases that was related to the packet scheduler, but reverting it didn't seem to help unfortunately.

I'm puzzled as to why the AdaptiveQoS tc rules would still work fine.

Hi Merlin,
Yes, I think it's possible to have kernel issue(actually, all sdk7.x has this problem), but I don't have more time to investigate on this. Adaptive qos uses two interface, and they set mark in different directions, so they can control well.

Hi all,
I can't decide function to enable or disable by myself, even if I know something wrong on my functions. This is business, I am just a employee. I think most people know what is meant for.

Thanks,
Vanic

Hi Merlin,
Yes, I think it's possible to have kernel issue(actually, all sdk7.x has this problem), but I don't have more time to investigate on this. Adaptive qos uses two interface, and they set mark in different directions, so they can control well.

Hi all,
I can't decide function to enable or disable by myself, even if I know something wrong on my functions. This is business, I am just a employee. I think most people know what is meant for.

Thanks,
Vanic

Hi Vanic,

No problem, I understand that any issue related to the SDK itself is outside of your control, I was just posting my finding following my experiments from last weekend, if only to tell you that the problem isn't your code, but someone else's code :).

If we're lucky, it might be related to another bug I notified Channer about a few weeks ago, related to the Ethernet driver, which breaks traffic monitoring. If the people working on the SDK/Ethernet code resolve that issue, I will re-test the QoS part afterward to see if it also resolve the QoS issue.

I suspect that the switch to GMAC3 broke a couple of things at the Ethernet level...

I realize this thread is old but I figure out what's wrong with the traditional qos config. In the web gui, the upload and download fields for traditional QOS are BACKWARDS. If you put your download speed in the upload and upload in the download it works like its supposed to!!!! I'm running firmware 3.0.0.4.382_15852 on a rt-ac3100. Couldn't figure out why my download speed was too eerily similar to the speed I'd set for uploads. When I switched them it works as desired. I gave the phone I use to make google hangout calls highest priority and used another machine to do a bandwidth test on speedtest.net and I had no issues with my voip call and the download/upload speeds reported in the router were what they were supposed to be. I haven't reported this to asus yet, but if I get a chance I will.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!