What's new

having issues with Synology NAS and AppleTV (3rd gen) poor streaming compared to IPad Air

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rockstead

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
This is how I setup my Synology DS213+ NAS running the latest software with an AppleTV 3rd gen.

Installed Plex Manager on the NAS
installed Plex Connect on the NAS
Pointed my AppleTV DNS to my NAS's IP (DHCP but it never changes)

Installed the certificate on the AppleTV by pointing to the trailers link

There are instructions that say you need a specific version of Python on the NAS, I omitted this part and everything works, not sure if it is related to my problem.

I have an ASUS AC68 gigabit router and I connected the AppleTV directly through Ethernet.

I was trying to stream a .MKV file which is 10GB in size and from the AppleTV 3 it would take a few minutes to start and would buffer quite often, while buffering it could take 1-2mins for it to come back.

System resources on the NAS show CPU solid at the 50%ish range, and the network speed would fluctuate but never higher than 1.8Mbit and would often drop quite low.

For a comparison, I installed the latest Plex App from the Apple Store on my IPAD Air and it streamed instantly at 1080P, but I hadn't purchased the Plex app yet so it would only stream for 1min.

Is there something I am doing wrong for the AppleTV 3?
Any help or feedback you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

System resources on the NAS show CPU solid at the 50%ish range, and the network speed would fluctuate but never higher than 1.8Mbit and would often drop quite low.
It sounds like plex is transcoding the file, hence one of your CPU cores is running at 100%. See if there is an option to turn off transcoding.