What's new

Having trouble joining a domain

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danldo

New Around Here
I have setup a new Windows SBS 2011 standard.
When I try to join the domain with a client computer running windows 7 pro I get this error message: Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occurred:
An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see windows Help.
I can ping the domain server by IP address, but not domain name.

DNS problem. Your options:

1) Fix DNS on your server. Change the Windows 7 PC's DNS server to just the SBS server. If it doesn't work, you didn't fix DNS on your server.
2) Fire up wireshark on the Windows 7 PC. Attempt to join the domain, and note what DNS entries are unsuccessfully resolved. Edit your Win7 PC hosts file to have these domains point to the server IP. Attempt to join the domain again. Do this about 3-4 times and you should be good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!