What's new

Having trouble with gocoax MA2500D and network switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OJay

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

I'm having issues connecting to anything when i introduce a switch into the equation with my moca network. I have a pair of MA2500D's, I get a good connection and everything works normally without the switch, my setup is as follows:

1. cable from outside > ISP's router in modem mode > RT-AC86U running Merlin.
2. RT-AC86U - Ethernet > MA2500D (Master) - coax > MA2500D (living room) - etherner > devices / switch
I am almost 100% sure that the coax connection between the two Moca devices is solely within my house (doesn't connect to the outside world at all), it's possible that there is a splitter at some point but i don't think that's the case based on what the previous homeowner has told me.

with 1 device connected in the living room and plugged directly into the MA2500D (e.g, XSX, PS5, Nvidia shield and TV) I get an immediate, stable and high speed connection. When i introduce a switch ( TP-Link TL-SG105S) inbetween the Moca device and end device though, I cannot get a connection.

I've tried a number of things to try and remedy this.

1. I've moved the moca devices off their own subnet and switched them to DHCP while giving them static IP's on my network.
2. I've tested the switch, and cables independently to make sure that they all work outside of this setup (they do)
3. I've given all of my devices mentioned static IP addresses as I thought maybe a DHCP request was not making it's way through somehow (a suggestion taken from one of the threads i read here in the forum).

But none of these have helped. Is it possible that there is a step I'm missing? Is there any advice on things I can try or troubleshooting steps I can take to figure out the source of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Consider my face suitably egged.

It turns out that even if your switch was working and tested last week, there's no guarantee that it works today.

The issue was the switch, this has been replaced and everything is up and running now.

Sorry for the wasted posts!