What's new

HDD spin down issue on Merlin 378-55 (RT-N 66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

w11x22

Occasional Visitor
Hi all
I have a strange issue that just started happening a week ago. I have 2 HDD hooked up on both USB ports and I use Spin down function after 60 seconds but one HDD turns on and then turns off right away and it happens exactly every after 10 minutes. I have not made any changes on my Router. Any idea...
Thx in advance....

It sounds like something is accessing that HDD every 10 minutes.

A cron job on the router? Did you set up cron jobs?

Samba or Time Machine or some other service running on the router? You could test this by shutting them down for > 10 minutes.

A client on the network? You could use Wireshark or a similar program to watch for FTP and similar filing protocols.

BTW 300 seems to be the minimum supported spin-down time. Look for warnings in the router's log.

Hi all
I have a strange issue that just started happening a week ago. I have 2 HDD hooked up on both USB ports and I use Spin down function after 60 seconds but one HDD turns on and then turns off right away and it happens exactly every after 10 minutes. I have not made any changes on my Router. Any idea...
Thx in advance....

The culprit is the DLNA Media Server. It appears to access the USB drive every 10 minutes, see my post here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/spinning-down-spinning-up.26776/ . If you disable the DLNA Media server, the spin down function will work and the disk will not turn on after 10 minuts.

Hi all for the replies. Unfortunately I tried everything suggested by you guys and it is still happening. My DLNA is turned off and also no Corn job, no FTP or time machine running... I am thinking of brining it down to Factory Defaults and then check as it was fine for months and started happening couple of weeks ago....

Hi all for the replies. Unfortunately I tried everything suggested by you guys and it is still happening. My DLNA is turned off and also no Corn job, no FTP or time machine running... I am thinking of brining it down to Factory Defaults and then check as it was fine for months and started happening couple of weeks ago....

Good idea. If you track all your settings in a text file, you can incrementally restore them and see when the problem recurs.

Or try turning off everything that should access the disk without having to reset the network settings, or else doing a Factory Reset, restoring all network settings, and iterating from there.

But first, do you have any user scripts set to run on specific events?

Read somewhere to use a 300 second spin down or more. I've set my RT-N66R with two 1 TB drives to 300 seconds and it seems to work well. One drive is recording Traffic Monitor every 6 hours and the other drive does not spin at all unless I access the Samba share. Oh, 75 days up time on 378.55!