What's new

Hello everybody!!! Am I doing this multi LAN thing the correct way??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveWithThe BlindEye

New Around Here
Hi folks!!
I have been trying to teach myself about how to do networks and stuff. I don't really need to know, but it does seem interesting so I kind of can't resist!
That's when I found this forum. A bunch of helpful folks that are very knowledgeable!!
Apologies in advance if I'm not supposed to do a long post as a first post, but I wanted to include as much detail as I can so that (hopefully) no vital information gets left out.
ok, here's my question:
What I am trying to do is set up four networks at home, which all share one internet access point.

I want to achieve a degree of separation between them because of their different purposes and because of the different people that will use them.

Mostly I want to do this because it is something that I think could be fun and useful to learn how to do.

I have read some web articles and borrowed a book from the library, they have been interesting.

I know that I could try and do all this on one network, but then I wouldn't learn about setting up more than one network which is what I'm trying to learn.

I read (briefly) about VPNs but these seem to involve additional expense that I do not think I can afford.

On the subject of expense,I'd rather avoid it. So although I have read about switches and managed switches and WAPs, I'm trying to stick to equipment that I already have.

Here is a list of equipment available:

1 of BT home hub 6 modem / router

1 of TPLink Archer C59 AC1350 wireless router

1 of Linksys WRT 3200ACM wireless router

1 of Linksys WRT 54G ver2 wireless router

Here's what I think I ought to do to achieve my desired result.
Set up the BT hub to connect to the internet. It has to be this one because it is the only modem one.

Use the BT hub to be my “Downstairs” network. This is a network (LAN?) that connects the smart TV to the internet, allows my laptops / tablets / mobile phones to connect to the internet when I am downstairs and also hosts the building's printer (which I think can USB directly into the hub so might not need to have a switched on computer)

Use the Linksys WRT3200ACM for a “work network” (another LAN?) This is for work (obvs). It will have three desktop machines connected to 3 of it's LAN ports by cat6.

Use the TPLink to for “rec” network (another LAN?). This network is for the xbox that resides upstairs (connected to a LAN port on the TPLink by cat6) It will also have two desktops connected to two LAN ports by cat6.

Use the WRT 54G ver2 to set up my “garage” network. (another LAN?) This network will have 1 desktop (connected to a LAN port by cat6) most of the time. Occasionally other equipment may be connected to LAN ports using cat6.

All the networks need to be able to access the internet, but only the “Downstairs” network should be able to connect directly to the other networks. So the desktop on the “garage network” should be able to access the internet, print on the building's printer, but not connect to machines on the “work network” Likewise, a machine on the “work network” should be able to access the internet, print on the building's printer but not link directly to a machine on the “rec” network etc.

ALL the machines on all the networks need to be able to send to the printer and connect to the internet.

There is 4gang cat6 socket in the hallway, so I can connect to each of the BThub LAN ports easily.

Socket 1 (green) connects to a socket (green) in the work room
Socket 2 (white) connects to a socket (white) in the garage
Socket 3 (red) conects to a socket (red) in the rec room
socket 4 (yellow) connects to a socket (yellow) in the smart TV room

Here's how I think I need to do it... maybe

BT hub WAN – internet
Linksys WRT3200ACM WAN – BT hub LAN1 (green-green)
Linksys WRT54g WAN – BT hub LAN2 (white-white)
TPLink WAN – BT hub LAN3 (red-red)
Smart tv LAN – BT hub LAN4 (yellow-yellow)
Printer – BT hub USB

allow each router to have its WAN port given an ID by the BT hub DHCP

Then I would need to give each of the three routers an IP that is on a different class c subnet, so for example:

Linksys WRT3200ACM = 192.168.2.254
Linksys WRT54G = 192.168.4.254
TPLink Archer C59 = 192.168.6.254

Enable DHCP on all the routers and leave them in “router mode”

If I give each of those unique SSIDs and keys then it is simple to control which wireless devices connect to which networks.

Hopefully I've included enough of my “working out” that people can see why I am thinking of doing it this way.

If people would be kind enough to let me know whether this will work, and if not show where I have gone wrong, I'd be very grateful.

Leaving all the routers in router mode, is a bad idea. Does your BT hub support vlans / static routes / multiple subnets?? Do your other routers support vlans / static routes / iptables? If your BT hub can't support multiple subnets, you won't be able to route your new subnets. You would be better off just running the other routers in AP mode, everything on one subnet (let the BT hub run DHCP), and call it a day.

Actually, I think that would work. Apart from this:
but only the “Downstairs” network should be able to connect directly to the other networks.
You would need 3 static routes on the BT Hub to each of the 3 satellite routers, and the firewalls would need to be turned off on each of those. But then that would mean that all of the devices on all of the networks would be able to talk to each other (assuming they know the IP address).

Actually, I think that would work. Apart from this:
You would need 3 static routes on the BT Hub to each of the 3 satellite routers, and the firewalls would need to be turned off on each of those. But then that would mean that all of the devices on all of the networks would be able to talk to each other (assuming they know the IP address).
Thank you for your reply!
I am glad that it appears I am at least along the right lines. Maybe I should buy a copy of the book I borrowed from the library to keep!
I am curious why the firewalls would need to be disabled though. I thought the other routers would treat the BT one as though it were in fact the internet, and as they are all designed to connect ok to the internet with the firewalls active, I thought they would be ok connecting to the BThub in its role of "pretend internet". I will have to borrow that book again!
If they cannot be connected in this way with the firewalls active everything would still be sitting behind the firewall on the BT router, correct? So that protects all the stuff on my side somewhat?
If that is the case could I still seperate the networks through the advanced settings in the BThub? It seems like a very decent piece of kit, could I not create rules within the router so it will allow LAN ports 1 - 4 to communicate with / connect to the internet WAN port but not with each other?
I would be interested to know what you think. At least I'm enjoying learning this stuff - I never thought it would appeal to me!
Thanks again for your time!!

I am curious why the firewalls would need to be disabled though. I thought the other routers would treat the BT one as though it were in fact the internet, and as they are all designed to connect ok to the internet with the firewalls active, I thought they would be ok connecting to the BThub in its role of "pretend internet".
That's exactly right. There should be no problem connecting "upstream" from the 3 satellite routers, the firewalls allow this. The problem is only if you wanted to connect from the BTHub network to one of the other router's networks. The satellite router would treat this like any other unsolicited traffic from the internet and block it, unless you setup specific firewall rules.

If they cannot be connected in this way with the firewalls active everything would still be sitting behind the firewall on the BT router, correct? So that protects all the stuff on my side somewhat?
Correct.

If that is the case could I still seperate the networks through the advanced settings in the BThub? It seems like a very decent piece of kit, could I not create rules within the router so it will allow LAN ports 1 - 4 to communicate with / connect to the internet WAN port but not with each other?
Sorry, no idea. I've never used a BT Hub, I assumed it was pretty basic. Perhaps it's not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!