What's new

Hello everyone and thanks for the add. Im having MOCA 2.5 speed issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richiero

Occasional Visitor
I'm having MOCA 2.5 speed issues at every endpoint of my coax.

1)I have 1 gigabit speed vz fios internet
2)rg6 coax
3)translite tl-mc84 2.5 adapter at each end
4) BAMF splitter 5-2300 mhz sb-2002
5) ideal 3 way 2 ghz splitter in the outside junction box
6) moca filter where service enters the house

I'm getting good internet speeds at the moca box that is close to my router 750-850 mbps. but its the end points at my coax where my other adapters are that i'm only getting 120-150 mbps.
what can be the issue with the slow speeds?

thx for any help.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 236
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 209
  • moca.jpg
    moca.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 205
  • swtich.jpg
    swtich.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 194
4) BAMF splitter 5-2300 mhz sb-2002
5) ideal 3 way 2 ghz splitter in the outside junction box
Neither of these splitters are optimized for MoCA. And though the BAMF product description may make the claim, it also says it's optimized for satellite -- and it can't be both.

Not that it's certainly your issue, but I'd look at replacing both splitters with known-good "designed for MoCA 2.x" splitters* ... as well as moving the "PoE" MoCA filter to the input of the top-level splitter, to maximize the performance benefit of the filter.

See here Re: splitters:

i bought the number 1 one to replace the splitter in my outdoor box

Nothing about that splitter's description is specific to the requirements of MoCA.

1. Neoteck Coax Cable Splitter MoCA 5-2500 MHz

The product is available as a 3-way, 6-way, and an 8-way splitter. You can choose based on your requirements. Neoteck is a leading company that has a reputation for providing top quality products to its consumers. Let’s look through this MoCA splitter’s features:

• It supplies multiple connections from a single input. The number of connections it supplies depends on the type of splitter you purchase.
  • You can use it for broadband, cable TV, and aerial connections.
  • It has a high shielding structure. This structure reduces noise and makes sure that the signal quality is top-notch. It also minimizes pack loss in modems.
  • It is widely compatible with many devices, including Dreambox, Virgin Media, Eurovox, and Telewest.
  • The pack consists of a splitter, patch leads, an adapter, and an inline joiner.
  • It is super easy to connect. The whole process is self-explanatory.

i just saw moca splitter in bold on top and it matched the one in the article for best moca splitter , i hope it works.

My apologies. I hadn't noticed your diagrams, earlier. The splitter "optimization" is secondary to the diagram posted, which I can use some help understanding:

1640230321922.png

1) The diagram appears to show the router ONLY connected via coax, via the MoCA adapter's pass-through port. And that you have a TV connected downstream of the MoCA adapter, as well.

? What is the brand/model # of the router?
? What is your ONT's WAN connection type, Ethernet WAN or MoCA WAN?
? Can the router be connected via Ethernet to the ONT?
? Are you also subscribed to FiOS TV service?
? Are the devices pictured in the same room/location?

! Critically, if the router's WAN connection is via MoCA or a FiOS set-top box is hanging off that 2-way splitter, they MUST NOT be connected via the MoCA adapter's pass-through port, as the "IN/OUT" pass-through port severely attenuates signals at MoCA frequencies. (MoCA adapters use a diplexer, internally, to redirect the frequencies where needed, rather than using a simple splitter, so the "IN/OUT" port on the Translite is designed to pass frequencies up to 1002 MHz.)

2) The diagram indicates that the MoCA adapter is connected to a switch. Is this switch connected to the router's LAN? (It would need to be.)

The diagram would benefit by providing more detail on the central junction, as well as how the pictured components connect to the central junction and illustrating device co-location.

Last edited:
My apologies. I hadn't noticed your diagrams, earlier. The splitter "optimization" is secondary to the diagram posted, which I can use some help understanding:

View attachment 37961

1) The diagram appears to show the router ONLY connected via coax, via the MoCA adapter's pass-through port. And that you have a TV connected downstream of the MoCA adapter, as well.

! Critically, if the router's WAN connection is via MoCA or a FiOS set-top box is hanging off that 2-way splitter, they MUST NOT be connected via the MoCA adapter's pass-through port, as the "IN/OUT" pass-through port severely attenuates signals at MoCA frequencies. (MoCA adapters use a diplexer, internally, to redirect the frequencies where needed, rather than using a simple splitter, so the "IN/OUT" port on the Translite is designed to pass frequencies up to 1002 MHz.)

2) The diagram indicates that the MoCA adapter is connected to a switch. Is this switch connected to the router's LAN? (It would need to be.)

The diagram would benefit by providing more detail on the central junction, as well as how the pictured components connect to the central junction and illustrating device co-location.
i recommend removing the switch and checking the internet speed before the switch.

View attachment 37961

thank you so much for taking the time to help me. it seems the ont is feeding the cable junction box outside. fiber into the house / coax in the junction box and back in.
then the coax on the splitter is coming from the junction box then being split off to the router and tv.
the router is a g1100 fios
i think my ont connection is Ethernet
not sure how you would do that but if it needed to be done i have more then enough cat6 to do it
yes fios tv service
everything is that picture is in the same room except the ont and junction box.
yes a set STB is hanging off that splitter.
yes the switch is coming off of one of the routers lan ports. but i disconnected it i seemed to be getting ip conflicts.

all the devices in the junction run to different rooms but only are connected to 2 STB one off the splitter and one homerun connecton all other coax is open ended.

internet speeds via wired lan are between 800-950 mbps.
i did look at the redit link but i got confused lol.. im very new to this.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Neither of these splitters are optimized for MoCA. And though the BAMF product description may make the claim, it also says it's optimized for satellite -- and it can't be both.
Theoretically, yes, but some due diligence would be required to verify that the coax outlets interconnect.
Assuming connectivity, the G1100 sports a standard MoCA 2.0 LAN bridge, so could achieve up to 400-500 Mbps throughput with a bonded MoCA 2.0 Motorola MM1000 adapter. If greater throughput is required, you’d want to supplant the G1100’s built-in MoCA bridge with a separate, standalone MoCA adapter at the G1100 ... either matching the bonded MoCA 2.0 spec of the MM1000 (800-1000 Mbps) or bumping both adapters up to MoCA 2.5 (up to 2000-2500 Mbps shared).
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
TMGunna

OP·6 mo. ago

Thanks so much for making this clear! I went ahead and ordered 2 of the MOCA 2.0 bonded adapters to increase the throughput.
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
plooger

·6 mo. ago

FYI... here’s a listing of available MoCA adapters:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...0-and-roamio-mini.529825/page-3#post-11024568
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
plooger

·6 mo. ago

If you’ll be supplanting the G1100’s built-in MoCA LAN bridge with a standalone adapter, you’ll need to disable the MoCA LAN bridge via the G1100’s configuration UI or disconnect the G1100 from the coax, though the latter can only be done if the G1100’s WAN link with the ONT is over Cat*/Ethernet.
Not that it's certainly your issue, but I'd look at replacing both splitters with known-good "designed for MoCA 2.x" splitters* ... as well as moving the "PoE" MoCA filter to the input of the top-level splitter, to maximize the performance benefit of the filter.

See here Re: splitters:
i just saw this you think this can be my issue ? although i have no clue on how to do that.

...but I'd look at replacing both splitters with known-good "designed for MoCA 2.x" splitters*
This line is so true...my ECB7250 moca units came with 2 splitters (manufacturer included) but technically weren't designed for moca 2.x. I happened to have my own splitter that has "designed for Moca 2.0" stamped right on the splitter face and when i tested both branded splitters the performance for the manufacturer included splitters was 12MB/s slower (that's megabytes!) vs my "designed for Moca 2.x" splitter. wtf. Why Actiontec are including those splitters is baffling. cheap bastards.

Right, start with testing Internet speeds as measured via a hard-wired Ethernet connection to a LAN port on the router.
anyway possible you can help me bypass the moca in my router before i go and buy a 300 dollar g3100? thank you

Last edited:
anyway possible you can help me bypass the moca in my router before i go and buy a 300 dollar g3100? thank you
Easiest way, since you have an Ethernet WAN connection, would be to simply disconnect the coax from the router. (This assumes that you have some other MoCA adapter installed at the router location, connected to the coax wall outlet and a LAN port on your router, to assume the MoCA/Ethernet bridging duties from the G1100.) With the coax port of the G1100 disconnected, disabling the MoCA LAN bridge within the G1100 becomes optional.

p.s. Reduce splits/splitters where possible.

thank you, will i still get channel info channel info and stuff like that ? i remember one time the coax was loose on the router and i wasnt getting some channels. i also remember you saying i cant run the coax through my moca box for cable tv. once i disconnect the coax from the router i get no tv service

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!