What's new

Help accessing N66U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaisunny

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a N66U that i've had for a number of years. This week I decided to upgrade to a AC86U.

AC86U arrived today, so i logged into the N66U at 192.168.1.1 and reset it to factory settings.

I then removed the N66U and installed the 86U and proceeded to set it up. After a few stumbling blocks I finally managed to get online.

However, my issue is with the old N66U. I've placed it at the other side of the house in hope to use it as a repeater, because my son has poor WIFI signal on his PS4 when locking onto the main router downstairs.

So, i've hooked the N66U up in his room and connected a laptop to it via LAN to the PORT 1 of the N66U.

For the living life of my, I cannot login to it. 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, also tried:

and so on....

I then decided to reset the router again using the button on the back of the router, which didn't solve anything.

Advice please?

This ought to be straight forward.

Disconnect all Ethernet cables apart from one going from the PC to one of the N66U's LAN ports.

Whilst the N66U is powered on and running (albeit not accessible) press and hold the Reset (not WPS) button on the back for more than 5 seconds.

Wait about 3 minutes and the network connection to your PC should come up and you should be able to access the router at http://192.168.1.1. If you can't, try a different browser (and make sure your browser isn't changing http to https).

This ought to be straight forward.

Disconnect all Ethernet cables apart from one going from the PC to one of the N66U's LAN ports.

Whilst the N66U is powered on and running (albeit not accessible) press and hold the Reset (not WPS) button on the back for more than 5 seconds.

Wait about 3 minutes and the network connection to your PC should come up and you should be able to access the router at http://192.168.1.1. If you can't, try a different browser (and make sure your browser isn't changing http to https).

It should be, especially for me, since I spent 8 years working for a IT company. My brain is frozen though.

Tried chrome, firefox and IE.

Same outcome.

It just won't login to the router at all.

No static IP is set on the adapter either.

I will try another laptop and report back if any success. But I doubt it.

You could try manually setting your PC's NIC to 192.168.1.5/255.255.255.0.

Then open a command prompt and run a continuous ping:
Code:
ping -t 192.168.1.1
Then power off and on the router and see if you get anything.

Solved.

Different laptop, IE and logged in fine. Very strange!

Anyway, i've now hardwired my sons PS4 to this extender. Unfortunately its getting the same speeds as before. eeek.

Solved.

Different laptop, IE and logged in fine. Very strange!

Anyway, i've now hardwired my sons PS4 to this extender. Unfortunately its getting the same speeds as before. eeek.
Glad to hear you got it working.

What kind of speeds are you getting? Is it the original PS4 (2.4GHz only) or the "slim" that has 5GHz support. Remember that the N66U doesn't support 802.11ac speeds.

Glad to hear you got it working.

What kind of speeds are you getting? Is it the original PS4 (2.4GHz only) or the "slim" that has 5GHz support. Remember that the N66U doesn't support 802.11ac speeds.

Thanks for mentioning the browser, it was something I overlooked.

My wired PC is getting 240mbps, my wireless laptops are getting 210mbps
The wired PS4 to the N66U is getting 47mbps but if I test it again, it will be, say, 32mbps, and then again, it'll be 100mbps(rare). So its up and down, but generally hovering around 20 and 50mbps

I didn't mess with the N66U settings, apart from setting up 2.4 and 5ghz during the repeater set up process. Maybe theres something else I could do? Tempted to try it on the 5ghz wirelessly to see what speed it gets. But im sure wired is generally best for the PS4 though.

Performance-wise a repeater (used WiFi to WiFi) is always the worst option because the throughput is halved. If you only want to connect wired devices to the N66U and use wireless for the back-haul to the AC86U then you can put the N66U in "Media Bridge" mode.

The speed test built into the PS4 might as well be a random number generator, it produces no meaningful information about your LAN connection.

Performance-wise a repeater (used WiFi to WiFi) is always the worst option because the throughput is halved. If you only want to connect wired devices to the N66U and use wireless for the back-haul to the AC86U then you can put the N66U in "Media Bridge" mode.

The speed test built into the PS4 might as well be a random number generator, it produces no meaningful information about your LAN connection.
Thanks, lets give media bridge mode a try, I didn't spot that during the setup process.

Thats in media mode now, the speed according to the PS4 is more steady, around 50mbps but upload is 1.7mbps.

Although, as you say, these figures are very unreliable on the PS4.

Do you think theres any other settings worth changing while this is in media mode?

Do you think theres any other settings worth changing while this is in media mode?
I've not used Media Mode myself so I'm unsure of all the options available to you. But generally speaking you want the link between the two routers to be as fast as possible (duh). So that usually means using 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz for the bridge. So check the Link rate shown on the N66U's Network Map page. The fastest the N66U can connect at (on either band) is 450Mbps so that's what you're looking for. The 5GHz signal cannot reach as far as 2.4GHz so if you can't achieve 450Mbps on 5GHz try 2.4GHz.

If it is located where the PS4 has been how should it be faster now? The node wont "see" the main router any better than PS4.
You have to put it about in between router and PS4 so you might get better speeds.
And where possible use LAN instead of Wifi.

You can use repeater mode even if you connect PS4 with LAN to node. So you will have better wifi on first floor too.
There is no speed reduction for PS4 on LAN, throuput will only be halved for wireless clients on node.
In bridge mode only clients on LAN get internet and you will miss extended wifi.

If it is located where the PS4 has been how should it be faster now?
Because (assuming an original model PS4) the PS4 only supports 2.4GHz and only has 2 internal antennas. Whereas the N66U can operate on either band and has 3 external antennas. Additionally, on 2.4GHz it's likely to be operating at 20MHz bandwidth further reducing the PS4's maximum speed to 144Mbps.

as you know MuMIMO will only work nearby, no benefit on upper floor, so speed are more or less the same IMO, no matter how many antennas you may have.
We dont know if he gets 5G upstairs at all!

We're all up and running now.

I live in a small 2 bedroom terraced house. The 86U is downstairs at the front of the house. My sons PS4 is upstairs at the back of the house. So the N66U i used as a bridge was actually placed next to his PS4 but 1 foot further away from the main 86U than his PS4 is. Putting this bridge in between the PS4 and 86U would be difficult, as that would mean placing it on the stairs.

However, I had a issue with my BB recently and the engineer fixed something, now getting great speeds again.

So i've removed the N66U bridge and connected his pS4 directly to the 86U on the 5ghz network, its getting good signal and according to the PS4 speed test (i know its not 100% accurate) its jumped right up to 200mbps and 10mb upload. Seems fast, definitely MUCH better than it was on the N66U.

So lets see how it goes. If he gets drop outs again, What about if I stuck the N66U upstairs in the room above the 86U and then connect my sons PS4 to the N66U? Would extender mode be a bad idea? or bridge mode and run a cable through the attic to the N66U? Mind you, if im going through all that trouble its only a further 4 metres or less to the main 86U!

I just bought 3 RT-N66U units from ebay. They still work great for my needs on a gigabit line.
For one I had to reset the unit several times before it would take - powered on, press reset hard for 20 seconds - should see the unit go to blinking power light. Then power off and back on.

You know it worked when you see ASUS wifi. Connect to non-passworded ASUS wifi - then open browser and the scripted Asus set up should pop up immediately.

Good luck :) !!!

Oops, noticed you already solved your reset problem.

I might suggest you try ethernet over house wiring adapter units. Then you'll get close to wired speed instead of messing with wireless and you shouldn't get drop outs because of near wifi congestion.