What's new

Help/Advice sought Do I need a NAS/Server/Both ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AaronD

Occasional Visitor
Hi, Great site BTW, been reading for a good few weeks now. I've checked out most of the articles and forums and have learnt a lot along the way. But I'm now more confused than ever, about what I should get ? Ideally I need to have this hardware sorted in the next 7 - 10 working days.

My requirements are :

• Access Control
  • iTunes Server
  • PHP interpreter and MySQL database
  • Torrent server (Downnload client)
  • BYOD (ideally)
  • Ability to schedule backup to external eSATA disk / online storage.
  • Continued running in the event of disk failure. Mirroring would be ideal, Ineed the data available, not the most disk space available.
  • Share out the usual massive photo collection / music / docs
  • Max disc space required 1Tb. Max.
  • Access via Mac/Windows at the moment, but is likely to be Linux as well in coming months - due to imminent netbook purchase.
  • Secure remote access

Over the next few months I will be developing at home for a commercial venture our own), and so speed / access for dev and for running an the Company site (at least for a while) is a consideration. In addition to the above requirements, I'll also be after running SQL Server and a few other custom server processes. I had planned for all of this to be running on a Home Build Server, with 2 serial disks running Raid1.

I have read this Smart SOHOs Don't Do RAID). Which was very illuminating, and has put me off spending loads of money, for something I probably just wanted (a 4 bay NAS), but didn't really need.

I've shortlisted the Synology DS207+ (@£200), or the Synology DS209+ (@£340). I cannot see exactly why there is a £140 difference between the two - and whether I would ever notice it ?

But I have seen the VIA ARTiGO A2000 and wondered if this could fit all my needs ? My concern is that instead of doing all I need, it misses out on all counts. Does anyone have a view on this device - good, or bad ?

I am completely open to suggestions as to hardware recommendations to sort this out. As there is a mix of personal and business to my requirements, and maybe they cannot all be met on one device ?

Hopefully anyone who persevered this far, isn't too bored, or confused and with any luck can help.

cheers
Aaron

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!