What's new

Help - broken nas data recovery

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HalfAnInstant

New Around Here
I bought an LG NAS (N4B2) about four years ago and have been running it with 4 (2TB) drives in raid 5 mode at home. It works great, but recently broke down with a "Booting Failure SVC_CODE (19_00)". Called LG and it seems they no longer sell nor support this product. They can't even tell me what the svc code means. I've pretty much given up on fixing the device itself, but desperately need to recover/access whats on the drives themselves as they contain all my family pictures throughout the years.

I believe there is no special encryption on the drives- just a simple Raid 5 setup. I have tried getting a QNAP TS-453A and swapping my drives in (in the same order as my LG NAS) but the QNAP doesn't recognize it. I would have to wipe the drives to setup a new one for QNAP to work, but then I'd lose all my data.

I have tried putting the drive on my desktop and setting up a software raid to see if it could recognize the drives, but that didn't work either. I'm not sure if i did anything wrong in the configuration though.

Could someone help? Is there a way to recover the data? Did I miss anything in trying to use the QNAP or Software Raid? What should I do next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Boot failure! Some one may be able fix that. Googled about the issues? No back up? I am a retired dinosaur so all I can offer is moral support.
Being able to boot is first priority. As an after thought I always buy from the outfits specialized in certain things. LG is not one of them.
Don't panic and good luck.

Boot failure! Some one may be able fix that. Googled about the issues? No back up? I am a retired dinosaur so all I can offer is moral support.
Being able to boot is first priority. As an after thought I always buy from the outfits specialized in certain things. LG is not one of them.
Don't panic and good luck.
Thanks Tony. I tried googling the svc code several times before- Some stuff had to do with the drive not loading or wasn’t pushed in completely, but no result that I could find relevant. Hopefully someone has had experience with this nas or knows how to recover data from working raid drives can help.

Thanks Tony. I tried googling the svc code several times before- Some stuff had to do with the drive not loading or wasn’t pushed in completely, but no result that I could find relevant. Hopefully someone has had experience with this nas or knows how to recover data from working raid drives can help.

Anything about uboot in the user manual?

Anandtech had an article a couple of years back where they recovered data from a Synology NAS

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8399/recovering-data-from-a-failed-synology-nas

Nuts and bolts of it - most NAS units use some form of MDADM, and if one can get a Linux machine with enough SATA ports, recovery can be done. Some of it is non-trivial for someone who is not experienced with linux and file system internals, but not impossible.

Moving forward, once the data is recovered, and a new NAS is put into service, please ensure that there is a plan for backing up the NAS up - probably even more critical to back up the NAS...

Remember, with NAS and RAID, there are chances that things will go awry, as it's basically a math game - in a RAID, the odds of the array failing are higher than any single disk in that array.

Trying to recover a RAID 5 volume without help is going to be very tough.
Might be worth it to check with these folks.

By the description it sounds that one of the drives may’ve failed in a strange way. I had a similar issue once with a Synology and 2 TB WD red drives in RAID5 mode. I managed to recover by removing one drive at a time and booting the NAS. This is a long shot, but it may be worth trying! Good luck!