What's new

HELP! Can't reset, buttons don't work, IP gives error, tried Merlin and stock - ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitskee

New Around Here
Hi guys,
I just got a used Asus RT-AC68U and having issues with it.

CURRENT ISSUES:
1. All buttons seem broken - So I cannot reset it.
(The router arrived with this issue) - However, I am able to enter recovery mode by holding the reset button down as I turn on the device, but holding the reset when the device is already turned on does not do anything. The LED, WPS and WiFi buttons do absolutely nothing.

2. I cannot access the router via http://router.asus.com - it gives this error:
"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh. Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U. To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

The WiFi light on the router is off.

Visiting 192.168.1.1 just gets stuck on trying to load.

(Currently connected via Ethernet. DCHP with IP 192.168.1.1 - The Macbook's network settings show a green light with this address in the LAN options, so I think the physical connection is fine. I'm using a USB-Ethernet adapter, as my only computer has no Ethernet port. I think this adapter was working fine earlier today, and the router is still able to sent me an error message, so I don't think the adapter is the problem.)

What I tried:
A. At first I was able to connect to the router
via WiFi and via Ethernet and see the router admin settings interface, but the physical buttons on the router did not work, and I would sometimes get the same "settings have been updated" error as above.

B. I updated official firmware via the normal router interface, this appeared to update, but did not fix the problems. After this I was still able to access the admin settings interface.

C. I installed Merlin via the Asus Recovery Tool. After doing this the router will not access the settings interface, and just gives the same error as above. The buttons still don't work, so I cannot reset it.

D. I installed stock firmware via the Asus Recovery Tool. This appeared to install successfully, but nothing has changed. I just get an error message and cannot connect to the router or reset it.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm a newbie so please try to explain a bit more clearly than if you were talking to a networking expert. :)

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Just to be sure, I would double check the router model in case it's not really an RT-AC68U, and you might need to flash a different firmware.

Just to be sure, I would double check the router model in case it's not really an RT-AC68U, and you might need to flash a different firmware.

Thanks. Yes I checked the back. That's the one I have and that's the firmware I downloaded.

I am pretty sure you flashed a wrong firmware version. I did that to my router and faced similar issues you are describing. Look at the model numbers closely, better post the exact firmware filename here for advise.

Official one I used is RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_7743-g2cf84e9.trx
And the Merlin one is RT-AC68U_380.66_6.trx

Have you tried reset to defaults with WPS button?

Power off router then hold down WPS button.

Keep holding the button while powering the router back on and continue to hold the button until the lights start flashing ( may take up to 30 seconds).

The Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh you can get around by clearing your web browser cookies/cache.

Be patient with this router as boot takes a long time to finish. There are times you think it is ready and can access the GUI but the router is still booting.

I wait until I see the wifi lights come on and then right after that the power light flashes slowly three times.

After the three slow flashes the router is ready to go.