What's new

Help deciding on which router I need.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DnS94

New Around Here
Hello!
I am need of a upgrade, right now I have a Netgear N750(WNDR4300) router and I recently moved to a two stories/stairs apartment that is 1000-1300 sqf with some concrete walls. The router is placed on first floor(biggest surface area) and works very well there but when you get upstairs you loose connection or sometimes if you are lucky might sometimes have 1 bar.

The only thing I need is that I have some kind of stable connection upstairs, it will only be used to social media and web browsing anyways and able to stream 4K on the first floor(I am able to do that right now, but its alot of buffering on Plex local stream). I have been looking at some routers, reading alot of reviews but I cant decide what the difference is and what I actually need, any help would be appreciated.

All of these routers cost almost the same where I live so price does not matter.
I am also open to other suggestions, but I live in Scandinavia so kind of limited to "mainstream" brands.
Routers I have been looking at:
ASUS RT AC86U
ASUS RT AC5300
Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800
Linksys EA9500v2
ASUS RT AC3200
A̶S̶U̶S̶ ̶8̶7̶U̶
̶A̶S̶U̶S̶ ̶8̶8̶U̶
̶N̶e̶t̶g̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶N̶i̶g̶h̶t̶h̶a̶w̶k̶ ̶X̶6̶ ̶R̶8̶0̶0̶0̶
̶T̶P̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶A̶r̶c̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶C̶3̶1̶5̶0̶
̶T̶P̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶A̶r̶c̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶C̶3̶2̶0̶0̶

Thanks!

Last edited:
I recommend both the ASUS RT-AC86U and the NETGEAR R7800. Stay away from the R8000 as it has many issues (mostly firmware related - a lot of complaints over at NG's forum). If you go for the ASUS, you have excellent firmware and decent range, but trailing a bit behind the R7800. That one has an OK firmware which is a bit dated in terms of looks and offers a bit less configuration than the ASUS one. I will personally stay away from TP-Link as it tends to abandon models reasonably fast. I do not have much experience with Linksys routers so can't comment on them

I recommend both the ASUS RT-AC86U and the NETGEAR R7800. Stay away from the R8000 as it has many issues (mostly firmware related - a lot of complaints over at NG's forum). If you go for the ASUS, you have excellent firmware and decent range, but trailing a bit behind the R7800. That one has an OK firmware which is a bit dated in terms of looks and offers a bit less configuration than the ASUS one. I will personally stay away from TP-Link as it tends to abandon models reasonably fast. I do not have much experience with Linksys routers so can't comment on them
Thanks for your input, I forgot to mention I also have been looking into Asus 86U, so thats good to know I might actually end up with that one or R7800. Also I was very close buying the R8000 this week since it was on discount, I am really happy I didnt!! I have read alot positive things about the Asus routers,but very mixed about everything else, thats why I tried here since it seems like most people here know what they are talking about.

At this point in time, I'd go for the AC86U as the last two firmware releases for the R7800 brought issues to the wifi parts. I can't reproduce them here but enough people report high ping spikes. Unless you install Voxel's custom firmware which apparently does not have that problem (Voxel's firmware is based on stock with fixes and enhancements). The AC86 has the advantage that it can use Merlin's firmware (also based on stock with fixes & enhancements). Both RMerlin and Voxel are very helpful on issues. Also if you use VPN, the AC86U is preferred over the R7800

At this point in time, I'd go for the AC86U as the last two firmware releases for the R7800 brought issues to the wifi parts. I can't reproduce them here but enough people report high ping spikes. Unless you install Voxel's custom firmware which apparently does not have that problem (Voxel's firmware is based on stock with fixes and enhancements). The AC86 has the advantage that it can use Merlin's firmware (also based on stock with fixes & enhancements). Both RMerlin and Voxel are very helpful on issues. Also if you use VPN, the AC86U is preferred over the R7800
Thank you for the information, I have seen alot of talk about Merlin but didnt exactly understand what it was. Im am indeed leaning against Asus, as I see alot of recommendations for that exact model. I just saw there is going to be black friday offers here(they usually suck here, but no harm in waiting a few days).

Make sure to get the AC86U and NOT the AC68U. The latter is showing its age, though it is still good enough for a lot of folks

To any future readers, I ended up getting the Asus RT AC86U. I have only had it for a day but so far I get better speeds overall on the first floor, and I am now able to stream 4K(local plex) without any buffering, but my range only increased like 1m/3ft or so that was a bummer(might just get a powerline or something upstairs). Wanted to test the R7800, but ran out of funds even though I got the 86U for 68% off, ups:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you can't beat physics. I doubt the R7800 will give you any more than the AC86U

Yeah, I guess its true, just hoped to get a "one-in-all" kinda deal, but Im not disappointed, I am fairly happy with my purchase :D

Keep in mind that you can't beat physics. I doubt the R7800 will give you any more than the AC86U
Isn’t it R7800s gives higher wireless speed since it can run 160Hz on pair 9260 adapters?

2tr at 160hz is faster than 3tr at 80

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!