What's new

Help Deciding which router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jokey1602

New Around Here
Hello i am curently deciding between asus gt ac-5300 or asus gt ax-11000, what are the diferences between them besides one beeing newer and supporting wifi 6.

GT-AC5300 has an older dual-core 32-bit Cortex A8 CPU, while the GT-AX11000 has a quad-core 64-bit Cortex A53, which makes a big difference if you use a VPN client, or you have a very high speed Internet connection and need to use Traditional QoS (which disables NAT acceleration).

Thanks for your reply , it thought the Gt-5300 was quad core 1.8 64bit like gt-ax11000. did you confuse it with the Rt-5300?

Thanks for your reply , it thought the Gt-5300 was quad core 1.8 64bit like gt-ax11000. did you confuse it with the Rt-5300?

You're right, sorry. It's an RT-AC86U but with a quad-core CPU instead of dual core, and a third 5 GHz radio.

The ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 is about 300€ and Gt-ax11000 is about 420€, so I am tending to go on gt ac 5300 cause it's cheaper but I wanted to know if I am gonna miss much not going the ax 11000, the difference it's just wifi 6 andv1 2.5g port as far as I know, they will both keep supporting the same updates right?, and hardware they are basically the same.

No, the GT-AC5300 is a much older hardware/router and will be 'dropped' many years before the GT-AX11000 would be expected to.

GT-AC5300 has an older dual-core 32-bit Cortex A8 CPU, while the GT-AX11000 has a quad-core 64-bit Cortex A53, which makes a big difference if you use a VPN client, or you have a very high speed Internet connection and need to use Traditional QoS (which disables NAT acceleration).
Hi there, does anyone have a sense to up speed it gets with QoS, Port forwarding and Parental Controls (time scheduling) ?

If it reaches above 500Mb/s up/down, I am sold!

I have an RT-AC5300 and it can't go above 200-250Mb/s (I am not speaking about the physical link between the modem, which is 1Gb/s), even if having a 1Gb/s down 200Mb/s up modem.

I have an RT-AC5300 and it can't go above 200-250Mb/s (I am not speaking about the physical link between the modem, which is 1Gb/s), even if having a 1Gb/s down 200Mb/s up modem.
Since your downstream seem equal to your upstream, my best guess is you configured QoS backward, swapping the max download and max upload values.

That model can certainly do more than 250 Mbps even if NAT acceleration was disabled.

Since your downstream seem equal to your upstream, my best guess is you configured QoS backward, swapping the max download and max upload values.
Upstream of the modem is around 200Mb... downstream is 1Gb...

I have used adaptive QoS with automatic setting

Enable QoS
iphone_switch_container_on.png
QoS TypeAdaptive QoS Traditional QoS Bandwidth Limiter
Bandwidth SettingAutomatic Setting Manual Setting

Ok... I think I figured there is some sort of a bug transitioning from previous RT-AC5300_384.19_0 to the newest one... RT-AC5300_386.1_2. Something is limiting my traffic for a specific IP.

I need to SSH to the router to find out what rule is enforcing the 1Mb/s because this is the only device that can't go above 1Mb/s on the WAN... over the LAN it can go up to 300Mb/s

Does anyone have any quick guesses?

Found the problem! Whoooohooo!

The bandwidth limiter is messed up. If not setting one... for some reason is locking me up to 1Mbps upstream on this specific IP... if I set a limit on the phone app to above 1Mb/s then it allows more.

I have QoS disabled, web history disabled and the router internet bandwidth check is around 400 down / 100 up

I must say, I can't reproduce the bug... but coming from a non-reset router config... where I might or not in the past made a limit attempt this specific IP, it might have stuck into some kind of config. Either way, using a bandwidth limit with higher numbers works as a workaround. Once I have more time I will try to debug it within the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!