What's new

Help! Entered incorrect info on WAN > WAN STATIC IP and now I’m locked out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JTnola

Regular Contributor
I was foolishly attempting to “fix” a double NAT situation (new Verizon 5g gateway > DMZ to my > AC86u) … things had been working, I just wanted it to work as a single NAT

annnnyway… in trying to go from a double NAT to a single NAT, I foolishly decided to change the WAN settings on my ac86u, going from “WAN automatic IP” to “WAN static IP”—

for the “IP address”, I entered the IP address that the Gateway had assigned to my router (which was also the DMZ IP address I had set on the gateway);

for the “subnet mask” I entered 255.255.255.0 (which is the subnet mask of the gateway — I can’t remember if it matched that of the asus router or not);

and for the “gateway” I put the IP address of the Verizon 5g gateway.

NEW (broken) WAN static IP settings:
IP: 192.168.0.122
(same as DMZ set on Gateway)

SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
(address of Verizon gateway)
——————————

THE DMZ ADDRESS SET ON GATEWAY (SAME ADDRESS THAT GATEWAY HAD ASSIGNED TO MY ROUTER: 192.168.0.122

—————

MY ROUTER’S IP ADDRESS: 192.168.50.1
(From before I changed WAN settings. I can’t see why this would change but I’m clueless)

Everything had been working when all I had changed was the DMZ setting. But when I changed things on the asus router from “WAN automatic IP” to “WAN static IP” (using the addresses specified above), I BROKE SOMETHING. Annnnnddddd Now I’m unable to connect to the AC86U — so I can’t undo what I did.

Is there any way to fix this without doing a factory reset on my asus router?? (And why can’t I log in? Why does the WAN connection have to be functional to connect to the LAN? I disable remote access remote access anyway —as you can see, I don’t understand this part of things whatsoever )

thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide!!
josh

I was foolishly attempting to “fix” a double NAT situation (new Verizon 5g gateway > DMZ to my > AC86u) … things had been working, I just wanted it to work as a single NAT

annnnyway… in trying to go from a double NAT to a single NAT, I foolishly decided to change the WAN settings on my ac86u, going from “WAN automatic IP” to “WAN static IP”—

for the “IP address”, I entered the IP address that the Gateway had assigned to my router (which was also the DMZ IP address I had set on the gateway);

for the “subnet mask” I entered 255.255.255.0 (which is the subnet mask of the gateway — I can’t remember if it matched that of the asus router or not);

and for the “gateway” I put the IP address of the Verizon 5g gateway.

NEW (broken) WAN static IP settings:
IP: 192.168.0.122
(same as DMZ set on Gateway)

SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
(address of Verizon gateway)
——————————

THE DMZ ADDRESS SET ON GATEWAY (SAME ADDRESS THAT GATEWAY HAD ASSIGNED TO MY ROUTER: 192.168.0.122

—————

MY ROUTER’S IP ADDRESS: 192.168.50.1
(From before I changed WAN settings. I can’t see why this would change but I’m clueless)

Everything had been working when all I had changed was the DMZ setting. But when I changed things on the asus router from “WAN automatic IP” to “WAN static IP” (using the addresses specified above), I BROKE SOMETHING. Annnnnddddd Now I’m unable to connect to the AC86U — so I can’t undo what I did.

Is there any way to fix this without doing a factory reset on my asus router?? (And why can’t I log in? Why does the WAN connection have to be functional to connect to the LAN? I disable remote access remote access anyway —as you can see, I don’t understand this part of things whatsoever )

thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide!!
josh
And actually, I can connect to the asus router’s WiFi network if I manually enter credentials. And I can scan/ping the network. And in my scan I see everything EXCEPT the router itself. But I can’t connect to the the internet. And I can’t access the Admin Web GUI , nor can I connect through the asus app or by SSH

I broke the WAN settings and now I can’t get back into the router’s admin to fix what I had changed

Last edited:
Yep, fastest way back in.
Quick question—will I have to re-partition JFFS? And reinstall AMTM/entware? (And if so, should I also reformat the thumb drive that I use for these functions?)

Thank you!!

Quick question—will I have to re-partition JFFS? And reinstall AMTM/entware? (And if so, should I also reformat the thumb drive that I use for these functions?)

Thank you!!

Did you try rebooting the router, make sure your PC (connected to the LAN) gets a 192.168.50.x IP (set a static on the PC if not) then go to http://192.168.50.1?

If you don't have a backup of your JFFS then yes it will be erased in the reset to defaults.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!