What's new

Help I Purchased RT-AC86U Should I return it? Also Need to set up network configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KevyMatts

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

So i purchased a RT-AC86U MFG Year 2021 I have been reading the forum and see it has some hardware issues etc now I'm debating should I return it and go for the RT-AX86U version pay the extra?

Also I need to setup a mesh or AP as my house we built an extension on at the back connected with brick walls which has a firestick device connectred but i dont get any wifi signal in the room so if anyone could advise be great currently using a powerline adapter but still weak.

Thanks
Kevin

Hi Guys,

So i purchased a RT-AC86U MFG Year 2021 I have been reading the forum and see it has some hardware issues etc now I'm debating should I return it and go for the RT-AX86U version pay the extra?

Also I need to setup a mesh or AP as my house we built an extension on at the back connected with brick walls which has a firestick device connectred but i dont get any wifi signal in the room so if anyone could advise be great currently using a powerline adapter but still weak.

Thanks
Kevin
Go for RT-AX86U, you won't regret your decision. Regarding second point try RT-AX86U alone first, otherwise get second router to form aimesh, it could be your current router as well.

Thanks for the feedback, it's currently extra £100 at the minute so maybe wait and see if it lower in next couple weeks.

Is the AC86U good enough for a beginner? Lol

Thanks for the feedback, it's currently extra £100 at the minute so maybe wait and see if it lower in next couple weeks.

Is the AC86U good enough for a beginner? Lol
AX86U doesn't give you any huge difference unless you use AX connection. AC86U is enough even AC68U is enough.
Wifi signal issue: use ethernet backhaul if it's possible. There is a real trash router which is AC88U.

To use Ethernet Backhaul/aimesh for back end of house room to get signal ive ethernet cable through the attic going into a room half way should I purchase a second asus router can anyone advise me ive tried seaching, Ive currently a powerline adapter but its inconsistent, I was looking at nova mw6.

Maybe there is better solution :)

My opinion, based on my personal AiMesh tests - purchase 2x identical Asus routers and run wired AiMesh. There is always a better solution, but it costs more. AiMesh is what you get with 2x consumer routers for few hundred bucks. If you want easy button solution - Orbi Pro or Eero Pro are better.

To use Ethernet Backhaul/aimesh for back end of house room to get signal ive ethernet cable through the attic going into a room half way should I purchase a second asus router can anyone advise me ive tried seaching, Ive currently a powerline adapter but its inconsistent, I was looking at nova mw6.

Maybe there is better solution :)
I have an AX86U as my main router with my old AC68U as an AiMesh router on ethernet backhaul. Have had no problems. My AC68U could not fully handle my 1Gig fiber as a gateway.

My opinion, based on my personal AiMesh tests - purchase 2x identical Asus routers and run wired AiMesh. There is always a better solution, but it costs more. AiMesh is what you get with 2x consumer routers for few hundred bucks. If you want easy button solution - Orbi Pro or Eero Pro are better.

So just purchase another AC86U and go that route or you recommend any other AC? cheaper to fo 2x Asus routers than Obri Pro or Ero Pro price wise.

I would purchase 2x RT-AX68U routers instead. They were the same price per unit just recently. RT-AC86U not only has bad reliability history, but it's also >4 years old model with no AX support and perhaps less new Asuswrt features will be available for it. Get something newer with better expected support.

Okay great I have purchased a AX68U there now for £154.99, If i cant send back the AC86U got wait to tuesday since bank holiday so hopefully I can, if worse come to worse can I use that for wired aimesh until I get another AX68U?

Great , Should recieve 7th Jan There is only 2 of us in house so basically wifi at the back of house as got room built on so need get signal down there for IPTV/Firestick.

2x Mobiles
2x Firestick
1x Laptop
1x Wired Gaming Desktop
1x Sky Q
1x LG Nano TV

So FTTH ONT Modem from ISP > AX68U as Main then AC86U as wired ethernet backhaul down the back room be enough or you suggests anything else? I'm not really to technial with Home networking so my apologies but have went througn enough Wifi Extenders and powerline adapters wasting money:)

If you really need another router and you can exchange AC86U for AX68U - go for it. The two routers will be running exactly the same firmware and will get updates at the same time. Last time AC86U was the last router to get firmware updates, even after much older AC68U variants.

Well I've purchased the AX68U anyways so can either try return AC86U but have already registered the serial number or try and purchase second AX68U or just keep AC86U and use that for my second in back.