What's new

Help, in figuring out why my internet connection sucks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amacron

Occasional Visitor
Need help in trying to find out why my internet connection is so erratic. Some times it flies other time is a slow as snail. I am computer literate but not so much when it come to router. I have the Asus RT-AC66U along with the Motorola SB6141 my isp is TWC. I have used numerous FW. I have tried them all.

I basically need someone who is wiling to chat possibly so I can ask questions. I have read numerous posts on this forum and have learned tons. I don't really want to be a expert but would like to know how to tweak some of the settings as well as lean how to see IF something isn't working correctly.

Thank in advance.

Your internet connection is equally slow wired and wireless? If it's normal speed wired and your wireless connection is slow then you just have to troubleshoot that.

I have an AC56U and a Motorola 6141 on TW cable and have no issues.

yes, both wired and wireless is slow. I am on the TWC 20MB speed tier. I know that there are times when I may not get 20mb download speeds but when I some times get .02mb some thing is wrong.

I appreciate your help!

my wired connection speed via speed net.

from the networking tools on tne GUI
PING www.google.com (74.125.225.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.225.211: seq=0 ttl=51 time=62.439 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 80% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 62.439/62.439/62.439 ms

another speed test a little later

Last edited:
80% packet loss... something is really wrong.

When your having the problem plug directly into the modem and test again. If it is still slow its likely your ISP or at least a connection on the far side of the modem usually handled by the ISP

If however it is fast when connected directly you can then start to troubleshoot your network.

I will try that. Thanks as of right now it back to being fast on the wired connection. For some reason is it cyclic, sometimes fast some times it crawls.

Any other diagnostics I could do with it plugged directly into the modem when it is slow?

I will try that. Thanks as of right now it back to being fast on the wired connection. For some reason is it cyclic, sometimes fast some times it crawls.

Any other diagnostics I could do with it plugged directly into the modem when it is slow?

Random packet losses are often indicative of a wiring problem outside, that could be affected by the weather. Connecting directly to the modem would be a good test.

Also while having issues test with the tracert and ping commands. Try a traceroute to Google to see if you lose packets at a specific point in the route:

Code:
tracert www.google.com

Also, try pinging first the router (192.168.x.1) and the first IP beyond your router (as indicated by the tracert) to see if you are losing packets on your LAN or outside it.

Finally, make sure the cable between the modem and the router is rated Cat5e or Cat6.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!