What's new

Help make any FW persist after reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grumbly

New Around Here
Hi,
I just bought an RT-AC3200.
My problem is that after a flash and first time configuration, any reboot places the router in Rescue Mode until I flash it again.

I've tried latest Stock and Merlin, with equal effect. How can I make the firmware stay / boot correctly after it's installed and my settings are configured?

When I first received the router, it booted up correctly and had the November 2019 stock FW.
I can't get the Windows ASUS Recovery Tool to work - it can't find the router when in Rescue Mode (Probably windows/firewall issue).
tftp from Windows flashes then goes to Rescue Mode.
mini web gui flashes then goes to Rescue Mode.
tftp from linux yields a configurable working install... for only 1 boot.

I have:
reset to factory defaults prior to flashing.
cleared NVRAM via mini web gui.
tried stock FW.
tried Merlin FW.
let it sit for 1 hr after flash and boot before configuring.
read all related posts on this forum and elsewhere I can find about this issue.

I'm stuck :(

Hi,
I just bought an RT-AC3200.
My problem is that after a flash and first time configuration, any reboot places the router in Rescue Mode until I flash it again.

I've tried latest Stock and Merlin, with equal effect. How can I make the firmware stay / boot correctly after it's installed and my settings are configured?

When I first received the router, it booted up correctly and had the November 2019 stock FW.
I can't get the Windows ASUS Recovery Tool to work - it can't find the router when in Rescue Mode (Probably windows/firewall issue).
tftp from Windows flashes then goes to Rescue Mode.
mini web gui flashes then goes to Rescue Mode.
tftp from linux yields a configurable working install... for only 1 boot.

I have:
reset to factory defaults prior to flashing.
cleared NVRAM via mini web gui.
tried stock FW.
tried Merlin FW.
let it sit for 1 hr after flash and boot before configuring.
read all related posts on this forum and elsewhere I can find about this issue.

I'm stuck :(

A new router should reboot. I would return it.

OE

@grumbly try resetting to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want. After successfully resetting the router back to factory defaults (make sure to use the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox too), you may want to flash the same firmware that is already on the router (again) and doing one last reset. Now, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. If the same issues continue, it may be time to RMA this unit.

Also, are you using a saved backup config file to configure the router? See the M&M Config guide in my signature below to properly set up your router to a good/known state.

@grumbly try resetting to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want. After successfully resetting the router back to factory defaults (make sure to use the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox too), you may want to flash the same firmware that is already on the router (again) and doing one last reset. Now, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. If the same issues continue, it may be time to RMA this unit.

Also, are you using a saved backup config file to configure the router? See the M&M Config guide in my signature below to properly set up your router to a good/known state.

Flash, reset, then configure from scratch is good advice.

I also wonder if the OP's configuration is responsible... some odd setting perhaps. Or, the OP's configuration without first resetting the firmware.

OE

@L&LD, @OzarkEdge
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give that a shot.
What I have done similar is:
Reset FW
Flash FW
Reset FW
(results in Rescue Mode because resetting firmware required rebooting)

What I will try is:
Reset FW
Flash FW
Reset FW
Flash FW
Reset FW

Nuts. But maybe that will help.

What I will try is:
Reset FW
Flash FW
Reset FW
Flash FW
Reset FW

Nuts. But maybe that will help.

Worth a shot but probably won't fix it.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!